All times are UTC

Post subject: Need Help Getting Audio to follow the rhythm of Midi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:28 pm 

Hello,

I'm fairly new to producing with Ableton and for once I've created a track I really like, but here's the problem: the sounds are all made using presets. Yeah they've been warped and changed but I feel as if anyone who knows anything about production who listens to it (that is, anyone who has any influence in the industry who might be able to give me a leg up) would be able to tell immediately.

So I started gathering my own sounds and I have them. Here's the problem, they're all .wav files, so when I put them in Ableton they go to Audio, not MIDI. How do I get these audio sounds to follow the same rhythms as the MIDI sounds? E.g. I've imported a .wav clap, how do I get it to have the same rhythm as the .adg clap I already composed? The Slicing to MIDI option isn't showing up on any of the sounds I need for some reason, even though I have the Suite and it does show up on other sounds. What do I do? How do I get the slice to MIDI option to show up?
Thank you,
Shelton

Post subject: Re: Need Help Getting Audio to follow the rhythm of Midi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:08 pm 

Put the sounds in the sampler and trigger them from the MIDI notes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:12 pm 

You don't necessarily have to scrap everything you've done but you do have to embrace the idea of settling down to read the manual and watching a few tutorials.....this stuff can be as confusing as hell, especially if you don't ground yourself in some of the basics first..

Is your clap being synthesized or is it a sample being played back with impulse, simpler or sampler ? Explore the device to find out. Have a good look around in there. You will learn some stuff.

When you track down what is actually making the sound:

If it's a sample playback device - drag the new clap sample into the sample window (if it's a drumrack or sampler with multi samples you'll have to find which sample your midi note is triggering)

If it's a synth - delete the synth, create a sample playback device (impulse, simpler, sampler) in it's place and drag your new sample in.

Or you can go into the arrange window and lay your claps out on the time line in the rhythm that your midi was triggering the original....

By the way slice to midi isn't showing up because your sample is a single sound - there is nothing for slice to midi to work with. The other sounds you are dragging in are loops containing different sounds spread out over time.

Grab some refreshment and settle down to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heTM8pxBeQE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:28 pm 

Once you have your audio claps out in the rhythm you want, just consolidate them into what ever length, then slice to midi, then extract the groove from the midi clip that you've already composed and apply the groove to the new clap midi clip. I haven't been on Live for a while (due to my little one) so sorry if I've got it wrong.