Plastikman, Ex, live setup, delay techniques, etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
akm

Plastikman, Ex, live setup, delay techniques, etc.

Post by akm » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:24 pm

I feel the need to repost this message from forum member JDFS where he kindly answers some of my questions:
JDFS wrote:A good source of information of Plastikman's liveshow is Nicolas Bougaïeff's thesis. He toured with Richie during a few Plastikman shows and you'd be surprised by the tools Richie uses.

He uses Drumazon, Nepheton, ADM and ABL2. But that's not what you're interested in, specifically. The delays that Richie uses in his Plastikman shows and even in his DJ sets is the Lexicon PSP42 and the Lexicon PSP84. Great, powerful delay devices.

Here's a video of how Richie has set it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DdFq5RdK7w

If you need any further help, please ask me! I have incorporated this delay technique in my DJ set (difficult routing with Traktor into Ableton to use Ableton's send FX) and can use it just like Richie does. Only, he does it in his DJ sets with a Xone:92 and then the routing gets much more complicated.

Oh, and for everyone else interested in the thesis (it can be downloaded in PDF): http://nicolasbougaieff.com/thesis. Great read if you're into Ableton and how to utilize its power live.
I'm just reading this pdf right now, it is really great. It is so amazing that such an artist as Richie Hawtin sharing such specific information. I saw from his interviews that he is a very open person, he is not trying to hide something or any other possible cheating. He says that he want people to do what he do, that's explain it. BTW Deadmau5 is a same type - totally open, no bullshit, saying things right as they are, not trying to be nice and to look good.

Richie Hawtin just released an album named Ex unders his Plastikman nickname. For my taste it is amazing piece of art, it sounds from one point very "old school" and from the other it is clearly very modern hi fidelity production. As I may guess it is made totally "in the box", no analog gear at all, only VST's. I can't guarantee that I know it for 100% but from what I'm curently reading I guess so. At the moment I first listened this album I suspected there is a usual mix of hardwre/software devices. Anyway the production is very enjoyable - it is quite analoguish raw and at the same time very smooth.

You welcome to leave your thoughts and comments, guys, and I recommend to check that links in the quotation.

vo0do0

Re: Plastikman, Ex, live setup, delay techniques, etc.

Post by vo0do0 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Always loved Ritchie since the first time I heard plastikman back in the early 90s. This is brilliant and thanks but I'm still wondering how he made his first albums and his use of delays is amazing

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm mostly amazed at the fact that you can now apparently write thesises on vst use... 8O

Oh, academia.....

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks so much, akm!

Can you provide a link to your music? When people post something so great, I'm always interested to hear their music :)

akm

Post by akm » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:49 am

mylkoa wrote:Thanks so much, akm!

Can you provide a link to your music? When people post something so great, I'm always interested to hear their music :)
Thank you and here you are: http://www.youtube.com/user/PIANOPICTURES/videos