"Select inverse" ... anyone figure this out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aporia

"Select inverse" ... anyone figure this out?

Post by aporia » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Hey guys,

I will frequently write a midi bass line, make like 10 copies, process them all with a different chain, and then glue them back together as audio, clipping out little parts and pieces.

Photoshop has a 'select inverse' selection option which makes it easy to highlight the thing you want, and delete everything else by inverting your selection.

Has anyone figured out how to do this quickly in ableton?

Basically it'd be awesome if in the fewest amount of clicks, you could select a piece of audio or midi you want, and then invert your selection to select everything in that group except the original piece you highlighted. What I'm doing now (manual selection and delete 1-by-1) is taking too long

Anyone doing this or figure this out?
I destroy music to make music.
My releases as AK:
facebook | twitter | soundcloud | youtube

chrk

Re: "Select inverse" ... anyone figure this out?

Post by chrk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Why so destructive?

Ever tried the start-, stop- and/or loop-brackets?

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:50 pm

... and if you absolutely need destructive:
Set start- and stop bracket first,
then right click and choose "Crop Sample" for audio and "Crop Clip" for midi clips.

Works with unwarped audio too, where you can't make a selection inside the sample editor.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:54 pm

I like the inverse idea, thought about it before. It can be done with M4L; adding it to an already functioning 'clip note expressions' project in the works.

+1 for Ableton to add though.
ImageImage

aporia

Post by aporia » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:04 pm

shadx312 wrote:It can be done with M4L; adding it to an already functioning 'clip note expressions' project in the works.
Can you elaborate? I've never made a M4L device and that sounds like a complicated one to me.
I destroy music to make music.
My releases as AK:
facebook | twitter | soundcloud | youtube

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm

There are some note operations you can handle with the live api.
So what you could do is have information of all the notes stored, and also have information of the selected notes stored. So what you would do is cross-reference the 2 so the selected notes becomes deselected and unselected notes become selected.

Yes it can be complicated if you don't have experience programming in max and live api but once you do there are a few different ways you can manipulate notes.
I've been using jitter matrices but will incorporate javascript since I've been getting more experience with that and javascript is super helpful with a lot of live api stuff.
ImageImage

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:04 am

Highlite all the midi notes, then hold shift and click the one you dont want to invert, it will become unhilghjlited