What plugin do you recommend to mangle sounds?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrCravon

What plugin do you recommend to mangle sounds?

Post by MrCravon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:57 am

Lately I have been wanting to expand upon my effects collection with something that i can use to make glitchy, mangled, stretched or basically any form of extreme effect to my sounds. Preferably in a tempo syncable, recreateable way. I have been looking at the new "MOLEKULAR" effects pack from Native Instruments and this made me start to wonder what kind of recommendations you people might have on other similar or better alternatives?

jbw

Re: What plugin do you recommend to mangle sounds?

Post by jbw » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:01 am

Check out Sugar Bytes:

http://www.sugar-bytes.de

You can destroy pretty much everything you do with their stuff.

I'm seeing just now they have a new plug-in too! 8) Ima hafta check that out.

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:25 am

TomViolenz wrote:Audio effects racks are and a little creativity is all you need.
This is true, but when you can throw stuff from Audio Damage into those effects racks, they become even more awesome ;)

On that note, Glitch2, Effectrix, Audio Damage Replicant, and Glitchmachines Fracture (free!) immediately come to mind.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Glitch devices... doesn't it bother anyone that all they do is create a generic signature sound. I've tried out a couple and I spent more time trying to avoid sounding like a preset clone than I did actually using them.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:37 pm

oddstep wrote:Glitch devices... doesn't it bother anyone that all they do is create a generic signature sound. I've tried out a couple and I spent more time trying to avoid sounding like a preset clone than I did actually using them.
+1. it makes everyone sound the same. Usually.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Molekular is incredibly flexible, built around a modular approach and with numerous effects to chain together and control in various ways, so I'd say you're already looking at the perfect device for your purposes. As for 'originality' well that all falls on the user.. Molekular is certainly deep enough and flexible enough that unique results can be produced. Devices like the dblue Glitch plugin probably result in the usual "me too" sounds that at least one person in the thread is wary of.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 pm

oddstep wrote:Glitch devices... doesn't it bother anyone that all they do is create a generic signature sound. I've tried out a couple and I spent more time trying to avoid sounding like a preset clone than I did actually using them.
Depends on which one you use, and like pretty much anything else the quality of the product you are using matters.

Turnado is a beast, and very much like it's name will obliterate your sound, but you can also apply smoothness and subtlety. Effectrix is the same way, but isn't quite as dramatic in it's obliteration. The best part about those two plug-ins is they each offer a certain level of unique effects in their arsenal that helps set them apart from other glitch and mangle effects out there.

Don't believe me? Try the demos.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I haven't playde with Molekular but I really really like the UI, even just the mix of 3D and flat elements. Definitely a style choice when making M4L devices.
ImageImage

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 am

These are tools. If you abuse them, you sound like the tool.

If you know how to use it, you incorporate the qualities you like into your tone, and you do so selectively. Like any guitar pedal, plugin, or whatever you might be using to mess with your sound.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:36 am

ummm Sampler?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 am

I used a guitar in a tune once. turned out some other guy had already used a guitar so my track sounded exactly like his.

Sucked.

jbw

Post by jbw » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:13 am

dazzer wrote:I used a guitar in a tune once. turned out some other guy had already used a guitar so my track sounded exactly like his.

Sucked.
My first album turned out exactly like Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Note for note. I was all like, gah! :x

Damonv

Post by Damonv » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:42 am

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:25 pm

I know you're asking about plugins but consider a Korg Kaoss Pad. I have a KP3 that I use as an external audio effect in Live on a return track. This will definitely glitch up your track without sounding like the usual plugins.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel