Desktop.ini file creation on PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
androids

Desktop.ini file creation on PC

Post by androids » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:58 am

Is there a way to stop Ableton from creating DESKTOP.ini file for folders caontaining ableton-related data ?

I'm sick of this 'feature'.

Harmonic Progression

Re: Desktop.ini file creation on PC

Post by Harmonic Progression » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Hmmmm, I think that's a Windows function, and not done directly by Ableton Live.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

BoNGoMaN

Post by BoNGoMaN » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 pm

It is a feature of Windows.

Desktop.ini maintains the icon and layout settings for each folder.

See this link for more info http://www.howtogeek.com/96410/what-are ... ep-seeing/

If you are seeing these files, then you probably have the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" setting unchecked in Folder Options. All you need to do is check that box and you will no longer see them.

However you might prefer your current setting of Displaying Protected Operating System Files but don't want to see Desktop.ini files.
For this you will need to modify a Windows Registry setting [use caution when editing] http://jamesisin.com/a_high-tech_blech/ ... sktop-ini/

Modifying the "UseDesktopIniCache" Registry setting will change the behaviour of some icons (i.e. when emptying the Recycle Bin the icon won't change)

androids

Post by androids » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:11 pm

In theory it's a Windows feature.

But in my case Ableton Live is creating them.

I removed them with File Explorer in windows.
Then browing in Live v8 browser and immediately they were created again, using the Live folder icon, if the folder feature a Live-related file in it
(alc / adg) ...