Mac Pro (late 2013) anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nezoomie

Mac Pro (late 2013) anyone?

Post by nezoomie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm looking forward to buy one of those. However I'm having a hard time finding opinions online from Ableton Live users. (with the exception of this very disturbing question: https://www.ableton.com/answers/drastic ... -mavericks EDIT: I just realized this is related to an older generation of Mac Pro)

Is anyone using Live with the new Mac Pro? What's your experience?
Funky vibes from Berlin.
Check my music.

h4nc0

Re: Mac Pro (late 2013) anyone?

Post by h4nc0 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:03 pm

nezoomie wrote:I'm looking forward to buy one of those. However I'm having a hard time finding opinions online from Ableton Live users. (with the exception of this very disturbing question: https://www.ableton.com/answers/drastic ... -mavericks EDIT: I just realized this is related to an older generation of Mac Pro)

Is anyone using Live with the new Mac Pro? What's your experience?

Runs fine here. 6-core nMP running Mavericks.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Is good.

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:43 pm

i'm in the market for a new computer and am looking at the new 6 core mac pro. I don't usually use more than 15 tracks in a song,but I do like a lot of CPU heavy plugs, ie Diva, soundtoys and fabfilter plugins, etc. would be nice to run things at a low buffer without the clicks and pops I currently have. anyone else have a new mac pro and willing to share their experiences in live?
Last edited by dewaldo on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:41 am

I had the 12 core 2.6 for a few years. Live ran fine-ish... however, Live runs just as good (if not better) on my new rMBP 2.6 i7 . So much so infact, that I bought a NAS and laptop and replaced my desktop. I am muchos happy now that I have a fairly portable setup which rivals my $7k desktop, and some cash left over.

Of course doing video rendering etc was shitloads quicker on the desktop, but for Live, tons of cores don't mean squat.

Higher core speed is -way- more important than number of cores when it comes to audio, Live more than usual. I'd start getting clicks and pops at 1024 buffer on my 12 core, and Live would only be using 400% of the 1200% available according to iStat/Activity monitor.

Edit: totally misread and thought you were looking for a earlier Mac Pro, not the new trash can one. I'll leave this up anyways in case anyone else is wondering :)

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:26 am

Interesting. I'm running an rMBP 2.3ghz Quadcore with 8gb of Ram and a Geekbench score of 10.5k and personally I find it's performance lacking.

How much do you guys think Ram is a factor?

I'm considering the 3.4 quad core iMac these days and am wondering how much the 8, 16, or 32 bit ram specs will affect performance...

Thoughts?

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:35 am

LFO8 wrote:m.nash, I think the 2,3 Ghz processor is the weakest link in this case as Live's performance mainly rests on single core performance of your computer. So, until the day comes that Live becomes a true multicore processor app (meaning it can also spread the load of one single audio or midi track over multiple cores) you're better off looking at the highest spec processor, say 3,4Ghz vs 2,3Ghz.
Thanks LFO8. And ya, that's bit of a shame but good to know moving forward.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:51 am

m.nash wrote:
LFO8 wrote:m.nash, I think the 2,3 Ghz processor is the weakest link in this case as Live's performance mainly rests on single core performance of your computer. So, until the day comes that Live becomes a true multicore processor app (meaning it can also spread the load of one single audio or midi track over multiple cores) you're better off looking at the highest spec processor, say 3,4Ghz vs 2,3Ghz.
Thanks LFO8. And ya, that's bit of a shame but good to know moving forward.
But are you sure that 2,3GHz is really the top speed?!
AfaIk, the newer Intel processors have automatic turbo boost, which might bring the speed up to something over 3GHz when needed.