play multiple loops together not pre-mixed, on one track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RickDawson

play multiple loops together not pre-mixed, on one track

Post by RickDawson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 pm

I tried doing this in an Ableton Live 9 drum rack, and couldnt get a loop to play fully without letting go of the pad on my novation launchpad.

or is there any other way to do this?

I am after setting drum loops that can be layered when playing live, by triggering them, not pre recording them to be layered, as there would be too many combinations required, and make it too complex to use playing live.

Im using ableton live 9

Using a seperate track for each loop would be wasteful in this instance, as all the other types of lines basses, pads, melody, plucky arpeggios, fx lines etc are using the other tracks in ableton.

I have tried a free software sampler plugin www.tx16wx.com

loading and using samples is easy.
this has the correct trigger, that ableton live 9 drum racks dont have, as it will play the loop entirely through from one tap of the pad of keyboard note (ableton stops on the note off message)

Is there a way of getting a loop to auto repeat, until the note data is sent again to stop, but being able to play several samples to layer them, without ending up with an insane ammout of tracks that are not manageable in a live stuation?

Semuta

Re: play multiple loops together not pre-mixed, on one track

Post by Semuta » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:58 pm

I have often wished I could get simpler/sampler to do something like what you describe, but I think your best bet is to have insane numbers of tracks and map notes to clips in the session view. To clean things up, why don't you put the insane number of tracks into a group?

(Of course, there's the inevitable: Build something in m4l)

Good luck!
-S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva