Is there anyone who use windows 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
THEMOD

Is there anyone who use windows 8

Post by THEMOD » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:49 am

I'm planning to reset my computer. Remove everything including the windows 7 which I'm currently using.

I was aware of the news that windows 8 has released and I wanna know if Live 9 works with windows 8 properly.

Is there anyone who will tell me about windows 8 ?

kb420

Re: Is there anyone who use windows 8

Post by kb420 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:50 am

I use Windows 8.1, and Live 9 works flawlessly with it.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 pm

THEMOD wrote:I'm planning to reset my computer. Remove everything including the windows 7 which I'm currently using.

I was aware of the news that windows 8 has released and I wanna know if Live 9 works with windows 8 properly.

Is there anyone who will tell me about windows 8 ?
IT SUCKS!

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:28 pm

win8 is probably better than win7, once you work out how to make the gui behave as much like win7 as possible. Live works well

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:41 pm

I've been using Windows 8/8.1 since it came out and it has worked great with Live 9. As far as Windows 7 vs Windows 8 here's my take on it. While I don't care for the new metro gui interface I don't spend a lot of time on the metro screen. After my computer boots I go straight to the desktop and that's where I spend the majority of my time. My most used programs are docked as shortcuts in the taskbar so I rarely have to go back to the metro screen. Aside from the metro interface Windows 8 operates almost exactly like Windows 7 IMHO with the a few differences.

The biggest reason I upgraded and will stick with Windows 8 vs 7 is the performance. When I was using Windows 7 with a Hybrid SSD drive it took about 40 seconds to boot to the start screen. When I upgraded to Windows 8 it took about 20 to boot. I have since upgraded to a 256GB SSD as my primary OS drive and use the 1TB hybrid as my secondary data drive. Now my laptop boots in about 4-5 seconds to the start screen (not a typo)!

Now my laptop is an 2 year old Asus i7 gen 3 quad core with 16GB of ram. My job just recently got my a Gen 4 i7 quad core with 16GB of ram and Window 7. The new win7 laptop also has a hybrid SSD drive and it takes about 36 seconds to boot. My two year old laptop runs rings around the new machine with a faster processor. Now yes I realize that there is a difference between an SSD vs a hybrid SSD but even when I was running just the hybrid SSD on my Windows 8 laptop it was still faster than what it was when I was running Windows 7!

Bottom line if there's any reason to upgrade to Windows 8 it should be for the performance. I could care less about the gui and you can pretty much make Windows 8 operate like Windows 7 if you want.

Good luck and hope this helps!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I always embrace the changes of the future.

Most of my activities utilize keyboard shortcuts, I'm not too concerned about the metro thing.

There are some devices that you won't be able to find win8 drivers for.. and some FireWire drivers aren't so happy either.

If anyone knows how to install a presonus Firepod on Win8 let me know. I have other interfaces, but it might be fun to have that option still haha

PlainJaneFrancis

Post by PlainJaneFrancis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:40 pm

I started using Ableton back when I had all apple products. Macbook Pro, and iMac. Now all I use is aWindows 8 rig I built myself, and a Surface Pro 3. Works fine. I have no complaints with the Windows 8 OS. Others might. But it's just an OS. And Ableton runs fine on it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 pm

with Live Windows 8 would work the same, if not better. the performance is great.

with OS related tasks, such as launching a browser or an application, i find it to be cumbersome. it takes extra steps/movements to do things. progress implies streamlining... i get it that from a touch screen it has to work a certain way and in that aspect i'm okay with it, but from a standard desktop perspective it's a step backwards IMO. think about it... you have to try to make it work like Windows 7 :| that's not progress. if anything, it should do that out the box... not just after you customize it to get 75% of the way there.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm

H20nly wrote:with Live Windows 8 would work the same, if not better. the performance is great.

with OS related tasks, such as launching a browser or an application, i find it to be cumbersome. it takes extra steps/movements to do things. progress implies streamlining... i get it that from a touch screen it has to work a certain way and in that aspect i'm okay with it, but from a standard desktop perspective it's a step backwards IMO. think about it... you have to try to make it work like Windows 7 :| that's not progress. if anything, it should do that out the box... not just after you customize it to get 75% of the way there.
I'm glad someone gets this. The other annoyance was at installation, no choice of user name or password, all tied into Windows Livemail account.

As an OS, stability and resource efficiency is great but workflow designed for a touchscreen on a desktop is pure stupidity. Some stuff from the MS App Store run crappy. Netflix and Zinio Reader work better on my iPad.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:46 pm

markwphoto wrote:I've been using Windows 8/8.1 since it came out and it has worked great with Live 9. As far as Windows 7 vs Windows 8 here's my take on it. While I don't care for the new metro gui interface I don't spend a lot of time on the metro screen. After my computer boots I go straight to the desktop and that's where I spend the majority of my time. My most used programs are docked as shortcuts in the taskbar so I rarely have to go back to the metro screen. Aside from the metro interface Windows 8 operates almost exactly like Windows 7 IMHO with the a few differences.

The biggest reason I upgraded and will stick with Windows 8 vs 7 is the performance. When I was using Windows 7 with a Hybrid SSD drive it took about 40 seconds to boot to the start screen. When I upgraded to Windows 8 it took about 20 to boot. I have since upgraded to a 256GB SSD as my primary OS drive and use the 1TB hybrid as my secondary data drive. Now my laptop boots in about 4-5 seconds to the start screen (not a typo)!

Now my laptop is an 2 year old Asus i7 gen 3 quad core with 16GB of ram. My job just recently got my a Gen 4 i7 quad core with 16GB of ram and Window 7. The new win7 laptop also has a hybrid SSD drive and it takes about 36 seconds to boot. My two year old laptop runs rings around the new machine with a faster processor. Now yes I realize that there is a difference between an SSD vs a hybrid SSD but even when I was running just the hybrid SSD on my Windows 8 laptop it was still faster than what it was when I was running Windows 7!

Bottom line if there's any reason to upgrade to Windows 8 it should be for the performance. I could care less about the gui and you can pretty much make Windows 8 operate like Windows 7 if you want.

Good luck and hope this helps!
My experience is identical to this.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 am

Windows 8 has been working really well for me with Ableton. I also have a beast of a laptop.

If the Windows 8 Metro system makes you want to punch yourself in the face (I fucking hate it) then you can download Classic Shell and it makes it into Win 7 all over again, which is great.