PULL Ableton Device/VST controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xmonsta

Re: PULL - iPad device controller - Speed up your workflow!

Post by xmonsta » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 am

Hi Sigabort,

In 9.1.4 there seemed to be a crash on windows when closing the set. Have sent some details to your email.

It's not a massive problem, because some users of 9.1.4 don't want to downgrade and simply deleting pull from the set when they're finished using it is enough to avoid the crash.

I tried recreating the issue with a XY Pad device and it seemed to cause the same problem, but I've got some more testing to do to be sure.
http://www.xmonsta.com Music devices and controllers for Ableton Live

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 am

ok, thx, i'll look into it. btw, I get some crashes on Windows when closing live sometimes without the update installed - have sent the bug reports to Ableton.

Cheers

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes, I think you could be right. These crashes have been happening when leaving ableton idle or closing the set without using pull or the fix. Could very well be ableton specific. My suggestion to people who are using max has been to hold off upgrading for now. 9.0.6 seems really stable.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:36 am

I noticed in your video that when you change a tab on the iPad the tab also changes on the device in Live. However,this doesn't happen with me. If for instance i'm using Operator and switch between "Filter" and "LFO" the center box in the iPad changes to reflect the change of focus but it doesn't on the computer monitor. Likewise if i change focus on the computer screen the focus does not change on the iPad.

Like i say, in your video everything seems to change when you switch focus between different tabs. Is there something wrong with my template (some thing not setup properly)? Or was it just video editing in the video that "faked" the change of focus?

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm afraid ableton don't give us access in the api to these tabs. The part of the video is really tring to show each tab and how the controls are reflected the same on the iPad template as the analog device. We're pushing for ableton to give us access to this. It's the same for any tabs, on sampler, grain delay, collision, operator etc. However, hopefully PULL should give you the ability to not need to look at the computer screen and therefore not need to use the tabs.

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 am

mauronedj wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_cWeV8M3Qk
A little review :D
Nice review! We're running a competition Ableton Live Expert to win PULL as well - http://www.ableton-live-expert.com/arti ... -for-live/

Really good that it shows the little extras you get such as XY pads on some instruments and random velocity on drum pads. Also shows how easy and quick it is to make sounds on a touchscreen vs mouse.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:07 am

Another question Xmonsta:
Are you developing the external plugin editor?

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:18 am

mauronedj wrote:Another question Xmonsta:
Are you developing the external plugin editor?
Hi Mauronedj,

Yes, its coming very soon (within the next few weeks), with tutorials on how to make your own VST templates.

We are also working on a new type of software that really enhances VST's use in live. It's not specific to PULL, but will enhance it massively. We will release more info about this nearer to launch (around 2-3 months away).

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 pm

so from watching the videos i have a couple of questions
1. is there a button to move to the next device/rack in a chain or rack without using the arrows in push?
2. can you control vst parameters that have been configured inside a rack?
3. how do you control simplers etc.. inside the drum rack

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 pm

ambientidm wrote:so from watching the videos i have a couple of questions
1. is there a button to move to the next device/rack in a chain or rack without using the arrows in push?
1) Unfortunately, we had to remove the next/previous buttons for launch, due to a bug. However, we will add them into the device shortly. You will be able to move between devices in a rack chain, when you get to the beginning or end of a chain, it will move to the first device in the next/previous chain.

2) Yes you can control VST parameters that have been configured inside a rack. Soon we will activate the ability to control the VST itself as well.

3) You simply click on, or select the simplers inside the drum rack and they pop up ready for editing. You can select simplers with PUSH, or your Ableton controller of choice, or even a mouse.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:40 am

xmonsta wrote:
1) Unfortunately, we had to remove the next/previous buttons for launch, due to a bug. However, we will add them into the device shortly. You will be able to move between devices in a rack chain, when you get to the beginning or end of a chain, it will move to the first device in the next/previous chain.

2) Yes you can control VST parameters that have been configured inside a rack. Soon we will activate the ability to control the VST itself as well.

3) You simply click on, or select the simplers inside the drum rack and they pop up ready for editing. You can select simplers with PUSH, or your Ableton controller of choice, or even a mouse.
sounds great!
is it possible to have the simpler or other device always showing inside the drum rack that I have selected in push?

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:46 am

i hope you make a template to control the new m4l monosequencer
having touchscreen control over the different steps and length of sequences would be fantastic
nerve and lfo tool would be amazing if they had templates too
others I think you be great are massive absynth zt3a2

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03 am

ambientidm wrote:
xmonsta wrote:

sounds great!
is it possible to have the simpler or other device always showing inside the drum rack that I have selected in push?
Sure, you could do this by using the "hold" button. This "holds" or locks the currently selected device on screen. So you would select the simpler, then press hold, then select the enclosing drum rack and you would have access to both drum rack on your push, and simpler on your ipad, at the same time. :) There is also a PULL button on the lemur, what happens with this is that if you have the "hold" button selected, and you then select the next simpler you want to edit, you simply press PULL and it will send the currently selected devices template to the Lemur.

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:50 pm

ambientidm wrote:i hope you make a template to control the new m4l monosequencer
having touchscreen control over the different steps and length of sequences would be fantastic
nerve and lfo tool would be amazing if they had templates too
others I think you be great are massive absynth zt3a2
We will be activating the ability to control VST and Max devices very shortly. It's possible to make your own templates for this system, or edit any of the current templates any way you want. We will put up some tutorials shortly on how to do so, along with some example VST templates to get you going. We will also release some of our own packs of VST and Max device templates to save you the time of making them yourself.