Mixdown: Controlling Return Tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JMFOne

Mixdown: Controlling Return Tracks

Post by JMFOne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi All

Just need some help with my mix downs,

Normally I'll just mix the individual tracks based on volume, pan, space and double check compression/eq. I want to take my mix downs that next step and one area where I think might help is the returns. All the tracks I send to them, I'm not mixing the output of the return track as they have many tracks going through them. Which means I'm losing a little control there.

How do you best mix the output of the returns in your mix down?

Secondly, I usually put a very light limiter on the master to keep as loud as possible until mastering where I would take it off. I am realising that the mix is going into the limiter a little hot and I was experimenting with a pre-master channel. With this I just turned the track down so it wasn't clipping before sending to master channel with limiter on. I also thought it might sound good to put the glue compressor on the pre-master to keep the volume in check but that seemed to just be doing what the limiter was doing before on the master.

How do you guys approach a pre-master situation?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

3DW

Re: Mixdown: Controlling Return Tracks

Post by 3DW » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:55 pm

I used to have the same niggle with the returns.. What i do now is set up a load of nice fx on different return channels, I use them mainly for sfx sounds. Once i put an effect on that i like i then export it with the return effect applied and then place it on an empty channel with the sends down. Still a bit faffing around but gets the job done.

Whilst writing a track i have my drums and percussion set at around -15db and work everything around that. It means that my overall mix usually peaks around -8db which is acceptable as a pre master. I stick a utility on the master just to bring the levels back up and take it off before rendering the final mix.

I don't personaly see the need for the limiter as the gain does the job fine. You can even clip the master quite a bit without any distortion as long as you remember to take it off later.

Hope this helps.

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks for the tips 3DW, I'll try them out 8)
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:00 am

Normally I still tend to balance anything feeding returns with the snd knobs, more than relying on the return track volumes later on. If I do reach for the volume, usually it's because I need to reduce say the reverb (or whatever effect is on that return) globally in the track.

For the limiter, I tend to write everything without one, just keeping an eye on the master meter to make sure I have at least some bit of healthy headroom. Nothing wrong with occasionally slapping a limiter on real quick if you want to check if the mix will skew or not later on. It definitely can affect the balance of loud instruments like kicks and snare.

I wouldn't mix into one all the time though, especially if you're sending it to be mastered. You have no idea what their limiter will sound like, no sense in getting used to the one that won't be used in the end. Just me though :)

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:33 am

To gain more control of your return tracks, set them up in a drum rack and output to rack only.

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:40 am

Tarekith wrote:Normally I still tend to balance anything feeding returns with the snd knobs, more than relying on the return track volumes later on. If I do reach for the volume, usually it's because I need to reduce say the reverb (or whatever effect is on that return) globally in the track.

For the limiter, I tend to write everything without one, just keeping an eye on the master meter to make sure I have at least some bit of healthy headroom. Nothing wrong with occasionally slapping a limiter on real quick if you want to check if the mix will skew or not later on. It definitely can affect the balance of loud instruments like kicks and snare.

I wouldn't mix into one all the time though, especially if you're sending it to be mastered. You have no idea what their limiter will sound like, no sense in getting used to the one that won't be used in the end. Just me though :)
Thanks for your advice Tarekith, I'm having a go at the moment of bouncing everything that I send to a return and see if this is a good workflow for me. Creating a drum rack with sends on could be the answer though, will youtube that.