How do you comp from multiple takes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Scaper7

How do you comp from multiple takes?

Post by Scaper7 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Just wondering what the best way is to comp from multiple takes in Live. Also, how do you deal with comping from multichannel takes?

Any tips, links to vids much appreciated

H20nly

Re: How do you comp from multiple takes?

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 pm

i use the Zoom, Split, Consolidate, and/or Group features... so nothing too amazing, but I am curious about the responses you get.

*bookmark*

& bump

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:50 am

Sonar X3 Producer....

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:07 am

I use session view to record multiple takes on the track with all the effects etc. that I will be using, then once I have done the takes, I will one or more blank audio tracks as a dump space for extra takes. Drag a track on, and then just audition different pieces of the various takes.

As long as you start recording at the same place every time, it's easy to line them all up on the dummy tracks and piece the different recordings together, just by zooming in and blending the sections.

This can be rough if you are using hardware like reverb/delay/time-based phasing etc. on the audio-in recording, since you may notice discrepancies between takes and/or lose reverb or delay tails from one take to the other. But otherwise, it's a pretty slick workflow.

liverick

Post by liverick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Something like Agent.
I record in session view. Use a click/cue track or tracks, and always record on the first session.
After each take, drag the takes "somewhere".
Audition.
Any takes I want to keep, I create a track for in a group and drag the take to it in Arrangement view.
Takes I don't want just stay in session view.
I then can split up the takes into phrases using split; you can often do multiple takes at once, since they all line up.
Then, I start de-activating the pieces of the takes I don't want, until I have the best take for each phrase.
Finally, I can fine-tune each phrase to remove breaths, etc by adjusting the start/end points.
If I have a phrase I want to keep, but it's slightly out of time, I warp it, and either set it to be the master (if I have MIDI I want timed to it), or use pro-complex mode to adjust the timing just a little bit.

As a novice, one thing I like about the above procedure it it's completely non-destructive.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 pm

8O

:x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 pm

I do it all in the arrangement timeline, and it is pretty laborious and confusing. Essentially I lay my master take on the timeline by hand, then slice at the edit points with ctrl e, then slip-edit by using the braces within clips. If I need to grab an alternate take from my clipdump (session) I have to dupe the clip in there, set the braces to a small duration and drag that minimised clip chunk into the arrangement composite.

I hoped L9 would bring some method to deal with this, something to integrate session with arrangement in order to provide an integrated arrangement workflow. But I guess there was a much greater demand for "sing some drums", etc.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm hoping with L10 we might see a serious pro audio tracking, comping and edit set up with all the usual Ableton design and workflow innovation. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.