Installing Live - optimal performance.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Faldoe

Installing Live - optimal performance.

Post by Faldoe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:43 am

I often see Live tutorials (with Mac users) where the launch time of Live is really fast.

Are there any tips when installing live - where to put the library, to increase performance? If so, any links to tutorials?

jestermgee

Re: Installing Live - optimal performance.

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:06 am

Live won't gain better performance really based on where it runs from but may load quicker when on the same drive as your OS.

In the past I had live on the same 2nd drive (internal SATA spinning drive on Windows 7) as all my sample library's and I then moved it to the OS drive after a rebuild to keep software together and separate from content. I had the exact same performance and almost unnoticeable load time difference (roughly 30-50sec load).

Then I built a new PC and used an SSD and placed all software and Live + Kontact content on the SSD.

Needless to say I will never go back to a spinning drive for a primary OS drive. Load time of Live is about 15 seconds and from completely off to using Live is about 1 minute whereas it was about 6 minutes previous. Worth every penny.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:09 am

Agreed about SSD. It's fast, it's efficient. I understand that some people can't afford it (and you can't just get the lowest capacity if libraries are on it)

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:37 pm

eyeknow wrote:Agreed about SSD. It's fast, it's efficient. I understand that some people can't afford it (and you can't just get the lowest capacity if libraries are on it)
My boot/OS drive is a Samsung 830 SSD with has Live on it. I know the SSD improves it, but I wanted to know if anything else on the install of Live can be don't to improve/optimize performance, or if how Live installs by default already does that - installs directories, etc. to the places they should be for optimal performance. When I installed Live, I just followed the screens, I didn't choose any special locations for anything.

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 pm

This is how i set up ableton on MBP:

Program is installed on main drive (It is 480 gig ssd, i put it on optic drive's place)
Packs are on second hdd (5400 rpm, used to be mac hd, before i installed ssd)
temporary folder is in Ramdisk, which recreates itself every boot (500 mb)
And cashe folder is on 5400 rpm disk. (because i don't want it to be deleted when every reboot.)

If you want programs (and the system) open quick, use ssd. SSD worths its price.
sorry for my english btw :wink:

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:30 pm

alpertt wrote:This is how i set up ableton on MBP:

Program is installed on main drive (It is 480 gig ssd, i put it on optic drive's place)
Packs are on second hdd (5400 rpm, used to be mac hd, before i installed ssd)
temporary folder is in Ramdisk, which recreates itself every boot (500 mb)
And cashe folder is on 5400 rpm disk. (because i don't want it to be deleted when every reboot.)

If you want programs (and the system) open quick, use ssd. SSD worths its price.
sorry for my english btw :wink:
I actually just ordered an Optibay and 750gb 7200rpm HD for my MBP. As I mentioned, my Boot drive is a Samsung 830 SSD.

Can I change the current locations of things on my SSD without having to reinstall live?

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:11 am

Faldoe wrote:Can I change the current locations of things on my SSD without having to reinstall live?
You can do it by creating symlinks:
let's say, you want to change "~/documents/NI/maschine 2/recordings" to a different location (to DATA hdd on this example.) open terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /Volumes/DATA/Recordings /Users/(your_username)/Documents/Native\ Instruments/Maschine\ 2/Recordings
This creates a Recordings folder inside DATA hdd and puts a symbolic link inside Maschine 2 folder. Now copy what's inside original Recordings to DATA/Recordings and delete original Recordings folder.

Next time Maschine launches it will use DATA/Recordings instead of ~/documents/NI/maschine 2/recordings (which you delete).

note: On a path, if a folders name includes space (like maschine 2) it should be written as "maschine\ 2", otherwise you'll get "file or folder not found" error.
Easy way to copy a path is: "right click > copy path > terminal path".

One more thing: I actually had moved back "ableton packs" to SSD. SSDs are better for read-only files than temporary ones.