Organising the browser

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Muze

Organising the browser

Post by Muze » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 pm

How do people do it, mine is a complete mess?! The Sounds tab is useless because most of my presets are not categorised and anyway organising sounds by vague types with no way of knowing (until you open one) where it came from or what instruments and effects it uses is not very useful. You can't even add meta-information or favourite them.

The same problem with the Max tab - here I can find 3 categories - instruments, effects and tools but beyond those categories there is no organisation so I just have an alphabetical list which is pretty long since I have accumulated a lot of stuff - it would be useful to at least be able to group items into subfolders - is there a way to do that? I have managed to do that in my places folders but it isn't reflected in the main browser tabs?

Clips and samples - again just a very long alphabetical list, no organisation or groupings, impossible to use meaningfully really, I don't know what most of that stuff even is.

The folders in places seem to be the only ones that I can actually organise how I want.

jestermgee

Re: Organising the browser

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Muze wrote:
The folders in places seem to be the only ones that I can actually organise how I want.
^^That

Keep your own location well organised with whatever helps to make it easy to navigate (folders, nested categories etc).

When you have nothing else to do or when you are on the hunt for a sound/instrument for a project simply drag any of the Live library stuff you happen to like into your own user library for ease of finding. Eventually you will have little need for the Live library section at all.

Muze

Post by Muze » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Yeah I thought of that, ideally I would like to put everything in my User library and organise it using subfolders but Live complains when I try and move packs into it that it considers to be 'core' packs.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 pm

jestermgee wrote: Eventually you will have little need for the Live library section at all.

^^ This 8)

If you want to move something from a core pack to User Places, just drag it to User Library.

Make your own folder structure in the root directory of User Library

Use space at the beginning of the folder name, or + and -, to make sure your categories are at the top.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 am

I keep the following things in the User Library:

-Saved clips of other peoples' songs I've warped
-Any projects/examples of other peoples' work I've downloaded
-All samples of my own or from downloaded projects (I started segregating the samples from projects but it's not really worth it)
-All the other standard stuff like defaults, templates, presets, M4L devices, grooves

I had kept my projects in the User Library as well, but that had the side-effect of ALL the WAV I recorded going into the User Library Samples folder which quickly became a mess. So, I moved my own projects outside the User Library and added it under places. Under projects I've got folders for free-tracking, songs, DJ sets, and my "workbenches" for Samplers, M4L devices, guitar/bass signal chains, etc.

It truly was a pain in the ass to get it all figured out but once I did it helped my workflow a lot.

Muze

Post by Muze » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 pm

OK I moved some stuff and Live is now telling me to rescan my library but I can't find where to do that - it isn't even in the manual

thequizrad

Post by thequizrad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:43 pm

>preferences >file/folder

I mostly get rid of ableton preset folders and just use my own library. All of my AU plugins are in my own hierarchy, so I have all my compressor plugins in the same folder, etc.

Also, my user library is actually in dropbox, so my studio Mac library and my laptop library are always in sync.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:30 am

thequizrad wrote: Also, my user library is actually in dropbox, so my studio Mac library and my laptop library are always in sync.
8)

Yep, things became a lot easier when I figured that one out

Do you also, these days, find you have to pause Dropbox before you save a set, though? :roll:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 am

Muze wrote:OK I moved some stuff and Live is now telling me to rescan my library but I can't find where to do that - it isn't even in the manual
go to File > Manage Files...

hitting the "Manage User Library" button makes Live rescan the library...

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 am

Dropbox is an ugly sync solution. I just use FreeFileSync across my LAN with a compound batch job.