Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
hmj
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by hmj » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I’d like to start a petition to get Ableton to hire the guy from AudioModder.com as a full time employee or consultant.

If you’re not familiar with his work he’s the guy responsible for bridging the gap between the ENTIRE Native Instruments collection and Ableton Push. He’s also done Soundtoys, UAD & Korg presets as well. His work represents true DAW & Third Party integration. Well as true as you can get without the support of Ableton.

Whenever you mention this type of work to Ableton they say there’s too many formats to support and all this nonsense but this guy is showing us that by simply working within the Ableton ecosystem this is possible. ONE PERSON showed us what a company constantly gives us the run around about. Imagine what is possible in this realm if they hired 2 or 3 people dedicated to it? They do this for controllers, why not for virtual instruments and FX?

The key to all of this is EXPERIENCE. I go from idea to finished product faster by finding ways to stay deeper in the Ableton ecosystem throughout the entire process. Push is certainly helping that, AudioModder takes that concept to the next level.

Most of what he’s done isn’t very elegant looking and requires clever work arounds because Ableton isn’t officially supporting it but imagine the possibilities with some official backing!?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have absolutely no association to this guy but join me in getting Ableton to pay attention to him. I think what he’s doing is taking Ableton in a direction that will benefit all of us tremendously, IF THEY PAY ATTENTION!

stoersignal
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 pm
Location: vienna

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by stoersignal » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 pm

i would sign it
+ EVEN MORE IMPORTANT IF YOU ASK ME:

STRAY FROM NATIVE KONTROL

störgeräusche
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by störgeräusche » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

don't hire them, don't abletonize them :evil:
a joint venture or some sort of official cooperation would be better i think... imagine an exclusive contract prevents stray to develop further tools to have scripts (or whatever they are) to use push with other DAWs... a loss for the community.
soundcloud
website
______________________________________________________
Win7 Pro 64 - i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz - 16 GB RAM - RME Multiface II

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm

stoersignal wrote: + EVEN MORE IMPORTANT IF YOU ASK ME:

STRAY FROM NATIVE KONTROL
^This +1000

But then he would probably have to sit in corporate meetings all day watching slideshows on how to fill out orders for paper clips.

Better to leave him, and that other guy to do what they are good at IMO

I think if Ableton just were a little quicker in adapting the API to the needs of them, we would all win.

stoersignal
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 pm
Location: vienna

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by stoersignal » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
stoersignal wrote: + EVEN MORE IMPORTANT IF YOU ASK ME:

STRAY FROM NATIVE KONTROL
^This +1000

But then he would probably have to sit in corporate meetings all day watching slideshows on how to fill out orders for paper clips.

Better to leave him, and that other guy to do what they are good at IMO

I think if Ableton just were a little quicker in adapting the API to the needs of them, we would all win.
you`re right

hec
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by hec » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Ha agreed, the last thing we need is for minds like this to fall into the same system that slows down these innovations but that's why I mentioned hiring him as an employee or full time consultant.

The consultant would probably be the best idea. This guy clearly has a very good understanding of not only what the users want but what is most useful. Something I think Ableton tries very hard to juggle but can't quite do it right for all the technical and corporate reasons.

hec
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by hec » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
stoersignal wrote:
I think if Ableton just were a little quicker in adapting the API to the needs of them, we would all win.
Does Ableton even have an API?

login
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by login » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm

IMO the audiomodder solution is not that good, take a Max for live device wich senda MIDI Program change and Bank change as this one: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control and use VSt's that support midi program change, (u-he, spectrasonics and NI have support) and you are done.

It's so much faster to change presets this way.

Buleriachk
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:52 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Contact:

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Ableton is trying very hard not to break what is already working.
I approve....

hec
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by hec » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:41 pm

login wrote:IMO the audiomodder solution is not that good, take a Max for live device wich senda MIDI Program change and Bank change as this one: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control and use VSt's that support midi program change, (u-he, spectrasonics and NI have support) and you are done.

It's so much faster to change presets this way.
That's exactly my point. He's offering a solution to a problem that is essentially a hack. Should he have the support of Ableton behind him this could be built into the system in an elegant, useful and intentional way.

Put it this way, what AudioModder.com offers makes Ableton Push better to use with third party software that many of us love and us. That makes Push more powerful. That makes writing music more fun etc etc.

login
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by login » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Well I dont use audiomodder stuff, I started racking stuff and it became evident that it's not a good solution.

The m4l device plus vst's wich accept MIDI program change is really the best, easy and fast.

On the other hand Stray is a really great developer, PXT is awesome.



But overall I feel the way ableton think about this is to let a market of third party developers pop up offering custom solutions for users.

If Ableton tried to bring this under their control I am sure many people will still be unsatisfied with the choices they would make and other third party stuff would arise again.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 pm

login wrote:Well I dont use audiomodder stuff, I started racking stuff and it became evident that it's not a good solution.

The m4l device plus vst's wich accept MIDI program change is really the best, easy and fast.

On the other hand Stray is a really great developer, PXT is awesome.



But overall I feel the way ableton think about this is to let a market of third party developers pop up offering custom solutions for users.

If Ableton tried to bring this under their control I am sure many people will still be unsatisfied with the choices they would make and other third party stuff would arise again.
Exactly! Just open EVERYTHING up to the API (yes Live has one :roll: - pretty good one too! ) and they will make the best use of it and come up with awesome solutions to problems we might not even have realized existed!

jestermgee
Posts: 3982
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Yeah I did the same thing for the Omnisphere and Trillian stuff. It's absolutely nothing more than creating an ableton patch-per-preset and no where ideal but a solution where there currently isn't one. No real skill involved in coding or integration, just some basic automated click scripts really.

As said, the PXT Live stuff from Stray is a great example of how good proper knowledge can be of benefit. IMHO if you were to present the Ableton Push interface solution and the Stray solution to a group and ask which would you prefer to use if you only could use one, Stray would win 100:1.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 am

jestermgee wrote: As said, the PXT Live stuff from Stray is a great example of how good proper knowledge can be of benefit. IMHO if you were to present the Ableton Push interface solution and the Stray solution to a group and ask which would you prefer to use if you only could use one, Stray would win 100:1.
And that is considering that he didn't even have a say on how to design Push in the first place!

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: Petition To Have Ableton Hire Guy from AudioModder.com

Post by oddstep » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am

i thought Stray was involved in the coding for push. could be wrong.

Post Reply