How is Deadmau5 making the drums in this song so LOUD??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Domokun

Re: How is Deadmau5 making the drums in this song so LOUD??

Post by Domokun » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 am

dewaldo wrote:well he definitely layers his four on the floor pattern with a nice sharp hat on every beat that is slightly panned to the right, this gives a nice transient to the kick. on every two, there's and a snare slightly panned to the left , this creates a nice effect with the alternating pans of the hats and snare. it also sounds like the kick has a lot of sub-frequencies in it. the kick is also likely warmed up with saturation to give a nice low thud. i am sure the bass has some heavy EQ carved out of its sub-frequencies to give space for the low subby thud in the kick. ideally this would be done with a multi band compressor so the bass doesn't lose its power too much -- see this vid for an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCRCmWVMco. hope this helps, I'm just thinking out loud here
I've been working on trying to recreate a similar effect based off the advice you gave me and can't tell you how much I appreciate it. VERY helpful. Thank you so much!

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 pm

cheers man, glad that helped

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:25 am

I'm betting the engineers for the record label are doing it and using Pro Tools. :mrgreen:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 am

Pro tools is the warmest, bestest, mostest bestest ever!