One of the Greatest Rants EVER!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

One of the Greatest Rants EVER!!!!!

Post by kb420 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:01 am

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Machinesworking

Re: One of the Greatest Rants EVER!!!!!

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:35 am

I agree for the most part. Though the caveat is the same one we have for the loudness wars, we are used to mechanically perfect "grooves", and stepping outside of that is frightening.

I do think electronic music goes in new directions because of the ability to make everything mechanical, but I think guitar and vocals suffer immensely from this perception that it has to be perfect. You end up with sterile sounding music, but only the worst metal and pop, house etc. crap is doing this, so let them. They will be forgotten in the coming years like the nameless shit product pop bands before them.

Also, Lars was being 'edited' long before Pro Tools. :lol:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 am

He's just an old guy ranting.

He can't comprehend why people like some of the shit that they do. So he needs to find other chin scratchers to agree with him.

The music is popular simply because it is, and for some odd reason people find the traits that he is bitching about to be favorable over 'live' sound.

There probably is the kind of music he wants to hear out there, but it isn't popular so he is unhappy.

I find that when you become technical about something and seek out virtuosity, you start missing some of the point. Music can be enjoyed by anyone as an interactive medium. There are many ways to interact, either as a major participant (in the band), or simply singing along. Perhaps dancing. Perhaps abstract analysis with headphones on in the dark.

Finally, it is pretty unfair to use an 'unfinished' Britney track in attempt to prove a point. If it is not finished, it was not Meant to be heard, period. It is pretty much a slap in the face to Any person that hasn't had a polished track in one take.

Edit: okay, I just watched the end. Now he is making up hypothetical, IF THIS HAD BEEN DONE DIFFERENTLY remarks. But not showing an example. Who knows, maybe an autotuned Bohemian Rhalsody could be very badass?!?!?!

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 am

most bands, producer ect... getting boring in the moment they are popular.

pop-music is hyped by the same ill system that provide us with colored and
one-sighted news, political corrected information ect...

offroad of this mainstream you can find real artists

in my opinion the most radio-stations providing us since the 80is
with the same music everyday are criminals.... a big mafia

call them whatever you want... because of this the simple 4/4 techno
is popular to the simple people out there

nothing to hype
nothing to think
no trend
no stars (barely)

times ae changing
same shit different day

Dance:)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 am

yur2die4 wrote: Finally, it is pretty unfair to use an 'unfinished' Britney track in attempt to prove a point. If it is not finished, it was not Meant to be heard, period. It is pretty much a slap in the face to Any person that hasn't had a polished track in one take.
His point wasn't that it was unfinished, but that it was implied that it was raw when it had already been autotuned.

...and he's right about nu-metal/emo screemo, that shit is horrible, but it will go the way of 80's metal like Winger and White Lion etc. It's taking it's time though… :evil:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:35 am

yur2die4 wrote: autotuned Bohemian Rhapsody
8O 8O 8O

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 am

The fans get what they deserve. People like what they like. Either they like something because they don't know what they like so they like whatever they've passively heard in their earhole a million times or they look for what they like and they like it.

Watch Britney Spears trying out for that old Ed McMahon talent show when she was a little girl. She could sing and her voice was actually lower :lol:
Just sayin, there was a time when she could actually sing, regardless of it still being Disney shit.

For the most part the argument is moot because he's talking about corporate-made music or the wannabes, so called bands and artists who are more performers who want to be famous; if they were artists then they wouldn't be making the kind of crap he's bitching about. A guy like him shouldn't be bothered to give a fuck about them in the first place. He's overlooking and discrediting the huge amount of artists that share his point of view to some extent.

Lip-syncing and pretend play isn't something new, either.

And then it's just that the whole rant may have been fitting 10 years ago but hey Wilbur it's a dead horse.

He's just bitching about the way corporate music is; it's understandable, but old. You can't blame the people playing a part in that world because they're doing whatever the current thing is to be in the limelight, the music isn't their first priority, so he should be attacking the instigators and enablers who create and perpetuate them, and unfortunately that's also the public who support them, so don't try to make it out like 'the fans' are forced to listen to it, not anymore.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Post by re:dream » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 am

shadx312 wrote:
For the most part the argument is moot because he's talking about corporate-made music or the wannabes, so called bands and artists who are more performers who want to be famous; if they were artists then they wouldn't be making the kind of crap he's bitching about. A guy like him shouldn't be bothered to give a fuck about them in the first place.

... unfortunately that's also the public who support them, so don't try to make it out like 'the fans' are forced to listen to it, not anymore.
Nailed it.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 am

yur2die4 wrote:He's just an old guy ranting.

He can't comprehend why people like some of the shit that they do. So he needs to find other chin scratchers to agree with him.

The music is popular simply because it is, and for some odd reason people find the traits that he is bitching about to be favorable over 'live' sound.

There probably is the kind of music he wants to hear out there, but it isn't popular so he is unhappy.

I find that when you become technical about something and seek out virtuosity, you start missing some of the point. Music can be enjoyed by anyone as an interactive medium. There are many ways to interact, either as a major participant (in the band), or simply singing along. Perhaps dancing. Perhaps abstract analysis with headphones on in the dark.

Finally, it is pretty unfair to use an 'unfinished' Britney track in attempt to prove a point. If it is not finished, it was not Meant to be heard, period. It is pretty much a slap in the face to Any person that hasn't had a polished track in one take.

Edit: okay, I just watched the end. Now he is making up hypothetical, IF THIS HAD BEEN DONE DIFFERENTLY remarks. But not showing an example. Who knows, maybe an autotuned Bohemian Rhalsody could be very badass?!?!?!
No

NEXT!!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:31 am

My take, it's kinda TNC. With a good dose of truth. Autotune is the worst thing that has ever happened to music. And it's fucking everywhere. Cuntry, poop, rap (I mean, mumbling into microphones) "metal" (loosely applied here) and everything in between.

I'm fine with a "polished" sound. I applaud that. But he has a point......

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 am

yea hes right, the rock scene is got be worse now, because you can have shitty musicians but who are good looking get records out. but then they go play live and it's horrible. young fans wont even know the difference. but it will only go so far. no real music lover will go to see a bad band and pay 100$ for it.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:04 am

There are exceptions. Anyone watch "guitar center sessions?" The "1975" really impressed me. Never heard of them. Currently watching "LP" which of course is a completely different thing, but it's not some autotunny crap a thon. Also, 311 was on recently and they kicked ass. Not really a HUGE fan, but they did such a nice job in that little room.

Post by re:dream » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:14 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:yea hes right, the rock scene is got be worse now, because you can have shitty musicians but who are good looking get records out. but then they go play live and it's horrible. young fans wont even know the difference. but it will only go so far. no real music lover will go to see a bad band and pay 100$ for it.

The rock scene is worse now because no one has been doing anything original (as far as I can hear) for at least the last 10 years. On the rare occasions I listen to 'rock' from today's bands, all I hear is sounds and ideas recycled from the 1980s and 1990s.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:37 am

Tagor wrote: in my opinion the most radio-stations providing us since the 80is
with the same music everyday are criminals.... a big mafia
Nonsense, they are the advertising arm of the record industry, always have been. To expect anything else and then calling them a mafia, when you get disapointed is naive. Unless you call all of capitalism a mafia like structure. In this case, carry on, fight the good fight!!! :twisted:
call them whatever you want... because of this the simple 4/4 techno
is popular to the simple people out there
Simple four-to-the-floor techno is not popular and has never left the underground. What you are talking about is a highly derivative pop music based on some of its elements. Don't make the mistake of these simple people and call everything that was produced on a DAW with a 4/4 rhythm Techno.

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:24 pm

re:dream wrote:...the rock scene is worse now because no one has been doing anything original (as far as I can hear) for at least the last 10 years.

You can go into just about any chain restaurant and hear nothing but 80's rock. So it's been the last 30 years if you ask me.
On the rare occasions I listen to 'rock' from today's bands, all I hear is sounds and ideas recycled from the 1980s and 1990s.
You're right of course, but I don't think we can blame anybody about this. There are only so many notes in an octave, really only a few modes used in modern music, and only so many ways you can be unique in 4/4, 3/4, or 6/8 time and still adhere to any type of verse-chorus structure in eights.

Music is math, and it does have a massive number of possibilities, but it's not an infinite number of possibilities.

So hurry up and write your song before somebody else does!
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.