Ableton CPU Time To Upgrade?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fishmonkey

Re: Ableton CPU Time To Upgrade?

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:56 am

lapieuvre wrote:I am surprised that your secondary drive even works, but I read some laptops could support it though it would not perform at full speed. It would work as a Sata II drive.
from what i remember whether or not it worked varied between machines.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 am

Stromkraft wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:Laptops are for portability. CPU heavy projects need a desktop.
Do you by that mean that for instance a 4-core i7 Macbook Pro always is slower than a desktop 4-core i7 iMac, Mini, Pro with the same CPU clock speed using SSD for storage?

I would say that isn't as self-evident. Obviously, one should watch out for 2-core machines when shopping portables and consider that fact that desktop models come with even faster 4-core CPUs. Even so, it's does appear somewhat unreasonable to just dismiss all portables as "slow".
Your options are far more limited going portable. Your options grow building your own PC. Powerful laptops are hard to design. You have to figure in power consumption, cooling, ect. Clock speed can be effected by architecture. There are Intel Xeons that perform better than their desktop counterparts.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 am

I just upgraded from my AM3+ mobo with AMD Phenom II 965 to a 1150 with i7 4970K and it is kicking so much ass, I don't even... I'd been an AMD guy for about 10 yrs.

Before I could run the CPU meter to ~70% with my studio template at 128 buffer/44.1k, and once I wanted to start layering my lead guitar tracks I'd have to freeze the rhythm track. Now I'm at 64/88.2k and no need to freeze anything with only 30-40% CPU showing in Live's meter.

Nice to make such a big jump after only 3 years. I just hope the next CPU (fuckin octocore or some shit) I buy is still 1150 socket.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:35 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:Laptops are for portability. CPU heavy projects need a desktop.
Do you by that mean that for instance a 4-core i7 Macbook Pro always is slower than a desktop 4-core i7 iMac, Mini, Pro with the same CPU clock speed using SSD for storage?
Your options are far more limited going portable. Your options grow building your own PC. Powerful laptops are hard to design. You have to figure in power consumption, cooling, ect. Clock speed can be effected by architecture. There are Intel Xeons that perform better than their desktop counterparts.
This does not address what I asked. The OP has a Macbook. The number of systems for Mac music productions are limited. iMacs are desktop Macs. The fastest iMac on sale currently is the "iMac i7 3.5 27 2013" which has a Geekbench 3 64bit MultiCore score of 14673. The current fastest MacBook Pro is the MacBook Pro i7 2.8 15 (Dual Graphics) and has a score of 14701 with the same test.

Storage speed may be a factor, but so far it hasn't been to me.

Obviously a new Mac Pro will be the best Mac production system, but it will not be cheaper necessarily and it's not portable really.

I use software instruments exclusively and only record external instruments and voice occasionally. To me a portable Mac makes the most sense. Expensive as it may seem, if past experiences and well known statistics can be a guide it will pay off.
Make some music!