why so many stuck/hung notes with MIDI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: why so many stuck/hung notes with MIDI?

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 am

jxsbebop wrote:MIDI notes keep getting stuck for external MIDI gear, but not any soft synths inside Ableton. Seemed like when I first installed Live 9 it may have been occasional, but now I can't get past playing a couple of progressions.

If this is only external gear you must try with another MIDI interface as well as cables just to see if you can rule these out. Or another DAW if you have access to that. You can try a demo perhaps.

Failing that, follow and analyze the MIDI stream at relevant points with internal tools like MIDIMonitor and external MIDI analyzers. It's certainly possible that MIDI is sent and your gear is ignoring some stray notes for overloading or other reasons such as internal bugs. We have old MIDIfied external gear that sometimes acts up.
Make some music!

jukebox music

Post by jukebox music » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:39 am

just happened to me.. check your preferences in your MIDI port settings

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:11 am

Still happening to me..... My workaround was to send midi by udp to a max standalone midi ports...... so it looks like the live midi stack is thinning/dropping more than it should.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:37 am

Maybe marbles would be more reliable :mrgreen:

http://gizmodo.com/wooden-hand-cranked- ... 1762354800

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Mr-Bit wrote:Still happening to me..... My workaround was to send midi by udp to a max standalone midi ports...... so it looks like the live midi stack is thinning/dropping more than it should.
I want to say I had this issue with my Prophet 6. It would drop/hang altogether and then throw a load of insanity in my face. I tried looking for odd MIDI CCs using MIDI Monitor but that didn't help too much apart from I seemed to be getting random messages relating to the MIDI clock.

I solved the problem by turning off the external MIDI clock sync on the P6. So now I manually dial in the BPM on the P6 to keep everything synced, but I have no drops, hangs or a zillion notes thrown at me at once (well, 6 notes anyway).

Might not help you - and I can see that being a pain if you've got a bunch of external stuff. Maybe experiment with one synth?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:14 pm

I think it basically comes down to stopping the sequence and a note off message don't get transmitted.

This could be anything from bugs in Live, midi interface driver issues or module itself.

I would play with using the stop all clips button vs using the global stop button (if you are in session mode).

I haven't used hardware synths in awhile but I do remember having more stuck notes with them vs VSTis.

Jeremiah

Post by Jeremiah » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:04 pm

any solution to this? Makes writing/recording external gear practically impossible

jando

Post by jando » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm

I know it's an old topic but I had this issue recently with Ableton 9 with some "Orchestral" instruments (Strings ensemble, Oboe, ...). I would have a midi tracks with two separate notes.. Ableton would add them up together..

Fix : I had all my orchestral instrument tracks grouped. Un-grouping the tracks corrected the issue.

AbletonCrush

Post by AbletonCrush » Tue May 01, 2018 4:07 am

Hi there friend.

I recently had this problem with ableton and was searching for an answer on the internet.

Happens to me when i'm recording midi notes with sustain to be played by a synthesizer or other instrument.

the thing is some times i recor a clip witch is longer than i wanted and i end up cuting or dragging the end of the clip to fit the number of compases i wanted, that is when the hanging notes apear, maybe the software goes crazy o something i can't explain happens.

so my solution to this problem is to set the punch in and out so the midi clip recording only last the number of compases i need, that has help me to reduce the hanging notes, also try to minimize the use of sustain if you can make the midi notes last what you need later this leaves you with les to worrie about if something goes wrong later.

Hope this helps, sorry for my english i am from Guatemala.

Bastahoobi

Post by Bastahoobi » Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 pm

I have been struggling with this and think I may have found a work around. I had a cello ensemble that would not cut out after the clip ended. I added in a note at the end that is too low for that particular instrument to play and it worked to stop the sound. Hope this helps.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm

so 12 years late it is still not fiexd ?
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 am

aklisiewicz wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm
You'll need to be specific. This whole thread is a collection of different issues, some of them user error and others using cheap/bad/outdated MIDI interfaces.
Are you experiencing issues with sending notes to external gear? If so, what gear and which MIDI interface is being used?
Is CC64 (Sustain) active in any clips that are sending the notes?
Is MIDI Chase active?
Are you using the latest version of Live 10? A lot of fixes have been made when it comes to the resolution of notes and CC's.

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 am

aklisiewicz wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm
Since I don’t suffer from this problem as far as I’m concerned it’s fixed. Your particular problem seems to be unique. Making a small project available that exhibits your particular issue might help people with fault finding.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.