why so many stuck/hung notes with MIDI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ejlif

why so many stuck/hung notes with MIDI?

Post by ejlif » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 pm

I have constant random stuck notes with my MIDI devices. It doesn't seem to be specific to any one device and can happen randomly. When I hit stop in live 9 a note will continue playing, like for instance on my MS20 which is USB MIDI and other times it could be on the V Synth or Waldorf Q that run into a MIDI interface and use regular MIDI cable. It can even happen with a VST plug in also.

I'm just wondering how to track down what is causing these stuck notes.

NoSonic822

Re: why so many stuck/hung notes with MIDI?

Post by NoSonic822 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am

ejlif wrote:I have constant random stuck notes with my MIDI devices. It doesn't seem to be specific to any one device and can happen randomly. When I hit stop in live 9 a note will continue playing, like for instance on my MS20 which is USB MIDI and other times it could be on the V Synth or Waldorf Q that run into a MIDI interface and use regular MIDI cable. It can even happen with a VST plug in also.

I'm just wondering how to track down what is causing these stuck notes.
buy new midi cables, or unplug then replug midi cables regulrly, check your soudncard's midi ports/, they might be damaged old,...

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:30 am

do your midi clips have over running notes?

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 pm

oddstep wrote:do your midi clips have over running notes?
There is all kinds of random stuff that goes on. Mostly when I stop live there will be a random keyboard that keeps playing a note. Starting and stopping real quick will usually clear it.

For instance on my Waldorf Q and V synth I can be playing along with live, chords or whatever and all of a sudden there is a huge cloud of sound playing a bunch of the notes I'm playing like a giant chord wash. Often times with those I would have to stop live and then change the patch on the synth to get it to stop.

I'm just not sure what is the culprit here since it's happening with all my gear, MIDI chord gear or USB gear. It seems like the only common denominator is Live 9

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 pm

it's sort of tautological but its going to be something to do with note offs not being sent. because it is happening with a whole range of different set ups you know it isn't hardware related. if it wasn't happening with earlier versions of live its a bug, report it, you won't be alone. i used to get hanging notes, particularly with hardware when I was recording live into midi clips. i fixed it for myself by tidying up clips after I'd played to ensure that there was no tails of midi notes extending over the loop brace. ultimately it was caused by latency between the controller and Live.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:51 am

the other common denomoiter is midi chords and soudcard

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:19 pm

midi data wouldn't pass through the soundcard if it was a vst or native synth... would it?

lvehon

Post by lvehon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 pm

I would get an occasional hung note with my hardware synth on previous Live versions. Since Live 9 I've been getting hung notes on hardware and now plugins several times per session. Clicking the stop button a couple times clears it.

randi

Post by randi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 am

had the same issues with 9.1.2. haven't yet experienced them with 9.1.3

feindbild

Post by feindbild » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:30 am

were you guys able to solve this? i'm having it all the time now. with usb midi (io dock with animoog), with elektron's tm-1, with a motu express 128, with the midi of a fireface 800. so i guess it is not the interface nor the cables...
i'm using external instrument, and the midi in is not the same channel as the midi out, so i don't expect it to be a midi loop.
there is only one track in the set, and nothing recorded yet. so i'd say data overload should not be an issue.if i play on push' pads, notes get stuck, if i trigger from the external unit, same story. if i record than freeze, same.

i have the feeling it started after i'd installed the motu midi driver, any of you has that installed? driver is the last one, from october, i'm on mac osx mavericks.
mbp 2.6 i7
live 9 & push
rme fireface 800
hardware synths

now will you listen to me?

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:47 am

I'm getting now stuck notes too with 3 Live Suite EIC instruments (and only those): flute, oboe and french horns. Have many other EIC instruments playing, those behave OK, these 3 keep playing hung notes long after their clips ended. Their MIDI clips are clean, no overhanging notes at the end, etc. The 3 used to play OK, then the arrangement grew to 80 tracks from 50, and the hanging notes issue appeared, even though I wasn't working on those parts (or that section) at that time. Now that the project is back to 50 tracks, the issue remains.

I'd gladly freeze the 3 tracks to get rid of the issue, but I'm not done scoring them to the end yet. C'mon Live, giddyup, we're almost done climbing the hill... :mrgreen: If I could only insert some dummy clip that says "shut off notes" on those 3 tracks as a temporary fix...

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Sat May 23, 2015 8:19 am

ANYONE have a solution to this? I've been fighting with MIDI in Ableton Live all night tonight! I could use a resolution to this...I have a lot of work I need to get done. I have a deadline of next week. I google'd and found a lot of people having the same problem, but I hardly found any proposed solutions and none that worked.

Everything appeared to be ok under Live 8...but I installed Live 9 so I could use my Push and now my MIDI notes keep getting stuck for external MIDI gear, but not any soft synths inside Ableton. Seemed like when I first installed Live 9 it may have been occasional, but now I can't get past playing a couple of progressions.

I even launched Live 8 again so I could just record my MIDI, but now Live 8's MIDI is broken too. Same MIDI configuration works in my other DAWs (Cubase & Reason). I'm on Windows 7 x64 with a MOTU Micro Lite 5x5.

I switched sustains pedals, MIDI interfaces (Micro Lite vs. Delta 1010), Ableton Live versions (Live 8 vs. Live 9), MIDI keyboards, etc.

I updated my Motu MIDI drivers to the latest version as well.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated!

feindbild

Post by feindbild » Sat May 23, 2015 4:11 pm

for me the latest motu midi driver solved the issue
mbp 2.6 i7
live 9 & push
rme fireface 800
hardware synths

now will you listen to me?

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Sun May 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Unfortunately, that didn't resolve for me. If ANYONE has a resolution to this please assist.

Thank you.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Mon May 25, 2015 7:28 am

I have noticed that in a dense stream of notes if a single CC value is sent it can often be dropped. I recreated the same situation in standalone Max with no dropped CC's. Ableton have confirmed it as a bug on windows systems but gave no reassurance it was going to be fixed anytime soon......I bought Cubase 8.... loving tight midi and multi midi clip editing, missing max for live.