Anyone using cableguys filtershaper?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
eyeknow

Anyone using cableguys filtershaper?

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:44 am

And if so, what do you like/don't like?

Futzing around with it and it seems to be intuitive/easy to use and pretty cool to add a little something. Not really hip on dropping 89 dolla's, but so far I'm having fun with the demo.

ezelkow1

Re: Anyone using cableguys filtershaper?

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:02 am

I like it for the reasons you mentioned. I also like the visual feedback, always find that helpful to immediately see whats going on. There are enough modulation options to basically do whatever you could really want, just make sure to sync up the library and start browsing through all the presets, it can do an amazing amount of stuff. However for me its not always exactly obvious how to come up with things like that based solely on their drawable lfo scheme. After looking at a preset I always think 'ooooh that makes sense', but of course its harder to translate that when you need it at least for me.

If I hadnt bought the entire cableguys pack during a sale Im not sure if I would have picked it up on its own since I already have some good filters, but at this point it has become the goto usually if i need something beyond autofilter

If your looking for a filter that can cover the majority of bases you would ever need, go for it. If you already have some advanced filter vsts then I would give it a very long demo time to see if it really gets you something your missing. Also if you have any of their others like midi or vol shaper I think you can get a nice upgrade discount, or you can wait for one of the bundle sales and get the whole pack for not much more than just the filter

Also saw the kvr post, and Im also not one to really be able to pick out the minute details like some of those synth heads, so for me Id take versatility and usability any time over some supreme sound quality that you wont notice once other instruments are playing anyway. One thing I wish CG would implement on all their products is a preset system for waveforms. Its obviously easy to come up with the basic ones since they have the quick presets for those, but if you come up with some nice gate or rhythmic pattern it would be nice to be able to save that off somewhere. Also if they wanted to make it really killer they could add some vocal types and some more distortion types, then it could be a WOW2 killer as far as an effects filter

eyeknow

Re: Anyone using cableguys filtershaper?

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 am

Another great review, thanks much :)

I've never really thought to myself "oh wow this needs a filter" until recently. And, it's not going to be an overkill thing so I plan on demoing for a while (unless it comes up in the marketplace :lol: )