Stutter Edit basic stutter effect issue

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djMickSwell

Stutter Edit basic stutter effect issue

Post by djMickSwell » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Hello all, I was wondering if those experienced with Stutter Edit can help me out.

I open an empty effect gesture in Stutter edit and I want to just create a basic 1/8 stutter loop effect. I set the time value to only 1/8 and turn off all pitches in the top panel to the right. I also turn off palindrome looping. Gesture length 1 bar, grid 1/8. Mode is on stutter. So lets say I have a basic drum pattern and I want Stutter Edit to loop the kick on the 1 for as long as I hold down the key for the gesture. I effect the incoming kick on the 1 and for 1 bar stutter edit loops perfectly, it repeats the kick 8 times because it is set to 1/8 for one bar. The problem comes in on the second bar, it loops or stutters just a high hat sound 8 times. The 3rd bar it goes back to the kick, the 4th bar goes back to the hat and so on and so forth. so basically when i hold down the note for the gesture it does this:

1 bar: Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick then 1 bar Hat-Hat-Hat-Hat-Hat-Hat-Hat-Hat then 1 bar back to kick etc.

It has become very frustrating. Is there a setting that I don't know about?

Thanks for your help in advance.

braduro

Re: Stutter Edit basic stutter effect issue

Post by braduro » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm not in front of mine, but you might add quantize, next to stutter, and maintain it at 1/8th or 1/4 notes. This gets rid of the continuous drift as it moves from stutter options. I know, you only have one stutter option, but maybe that'll do it. Also, I wonder if having the trigger/grid at 1/8 isn't quantizing it at the half note. It won't be as responsive, but try a 1/4