Nice sounding drum samples that aren't Vengeance?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheNobleNemesis

Nice sounding drum samples that aren't Vengeance?

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:15 pm

I've been looking everywhere for some nice-sounding drum samples, not necessarily of any particular genre. Does anyone know where I could find some?
Any and all types of drum samples are welcome here, whether acoustic, electronic, or a hybrid of both. Bonus points if they're also free ^_^

timday

Re: Nice sounding drum samples that aren't Vengeance?

Post by timday » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Goldbaby for electronic stuff. Vintage drum machines sampled onto tape and occasionally vinyl. Sound amazing.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Look on the DG16 site, they have only one sample cd they sell called Plasik Licks, but that is totaly awesome and has become the center of much of my drums (all electronic synth sounds)

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:03 pm

For all sorts of Techno related stuff i highly recommend everything from these guys:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/

For more "old school" styles have a look at already mentioned goldbaby stuff.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:22 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Look on the DG16 site, they have only one sample cd they sell called Plasik Licks, but that is totaly awesome and has become the center of much of my drums (all electronic synth sounds)
after some stupid googaloo: the site is d16 and the pack is plasticlicks ;)

edit: and they have a summer sale. 30% off with code SUMMER2014
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

JimmyRambo

Post by JimmyRambo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 pm

as OP said Im also interested in finding none vengeance samples!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:19 pm

mothergarage wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Look on the DG16 site, they have only one sample cd they sell called Plasik Licks, but that is totaly awesome and has become the center of much of my drums (all electronic synth sounds)
after some stupid googaloo: the site is d16 and the pack is plasticlicks ;)

edit: and they have a summer sale. 30% off with code SUMMER2014
Yeah sorry, that's how my mind (and typing too fast) works apparently :oops:

Either way the samples are awesome and cover all the basics in a big variety (kicks, hats, snares, toms etc, etc...- 300 each) and 4 different velocities per sample, all synth based though, so don't expect real sounding drums. But each is a clean new sound design, so they don't try to sell you the same sample again with just some added reverb (or other effect) as another sound, like many sample packs do.

And if you don't know of their effects yet, they are absolutely awesome too.
If their silver bundle should be on sale, it's a great start on high quality versions (that are also very versatile) of all the classical audio fx, like phaser, chorus, (tube) distortion, reverb and bitcrusher. Pretty light on CPU too!
It's also a stable in my tool box!

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 pm

mr.adl wrote:For all sorts of Techno related stuff i highly recommend everything from these guys:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/

For more "old school" styles have a look at already mentioned goldbaby stuff.
+1 for wavealchemy, but not just for techno stuff.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 am

Just checked out this pack and it sounds awesome...
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/synth-drums/pid100//

Does anyone have any experience with the Ableton 9 racks that are pre setup to work with Push?

Sounds like a very enticing feature for me if it works well.

login

Post by login » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Daniel_S wrote:Just checked out this pack and it sounds awesome...

Does anyone have any experience with the Ableton 9 racks that are pre setup to work with Push?

Honestly I prefer to do 128's racks (gettig 128 samples in to a sampler instrument and distribute it to selection) that using preconfigured racks that might or not be usefull to you. You can change samples much more faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TO3z8LtP5U

There are something I do different to this, first intead of doing it directly in a drum rack I do it in a sampler (without the drum rack) by type of drum, this way you don't have to sacrify one macro control.

Then after I made all the 128's samplers i need I drop them in to a drum rack.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Daniel_S wrote:Just checked out this pack and it sounds awesome...

I think that's only superficially a good idea.

Yes it is a lot of work to set up your own 128s, but for a good reason: It's not the set-up per-se that is time consuming (what could be simpler, then dropping it into a Sampler, right click, distribute equally), but the selection of the samples themselves!

But you should not let someone else do that for you. These samples will make up your production, define your sound.
Do you really want wavealchemy, or vengenace to take over that part from you?!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Is the issue with Vengeance samples the fact that they aren’t free?

Or is it (also) the fact that they are the “Buy a Mac” of electronic drum sample libraries?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 pm

beats me wrote:Is the issue with Vengeance samples the fact that they aren’t free?

Or is it (also) the fact that they are the “Buy a Mac” of electronic drum sample libraries?
Honestly?! I don't find them all that good. Of the one I did buy in the end, the Minimal House one, I only ended up using a few very select kicks and some of the percussions (they are cool though).
While of the afore mentioned Plasticlick samples I made a whole 128 out of each category. With the 300 single sounds per category it delivers, they still provided quite a few tough choices in what to take and what to leave out.
And they are not free either ;-)
Though, they are apparently 30% off ATM.

That all said: One company was not mentioned yet, probably because you can't buy these samples directly (though I don't know about the expansion packs). But the Maschine drum samples are also top notch, and though I haven't used the Maschine software in along time, the samples are still with me on several 128s every day! :-)

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:26 am

beats me wrote:Is the issue with Vengeance samples the fact that they aren’t free?

The issue that I personally have with samples from Refx is that I feel like Vengeance samples are far too cliché, and that honestly, they sound generic and bland. They might be nice for some of the more mainstream genres, but they really just don't work too well for me, and i'd like to have a broad array of samples of all different styles to choose from, rather than a myriad of one-trick pony samples that all sound the same.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:14 pm

LFO8 wrote:Why not start synthesising your own drum sounds from scratch? It's great fun and gives you original stuff to work with.
or work with dry samples, or use a synth that loads samples

I know the Vengeance stuff is great quality but I think you pay more for the name.