A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
RSJ
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by RSJ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi
Did you try to get help at MotuNation ?
http://www.motunation.com/

Hope you solve it

chapelier fou
Posts: 5075
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for the help guys. i am trying USB connection now. It just takes a lot of time to test cause the glitches appear a 4/5 times a day.
The UAD is nice but...no MIDI.... since my Motu microlite MIDI interface gives me stuck notes (oh ! is it the same brand ? interesting...).
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4134
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:30 pm

somewhat tangential, however this guide on prepping a Mac for theatre shows with QLab also very much applies to doing anything live with a Mac:

http://figure53.com/notes/2013-10-29-pr ... ubleshoot/

it's quite possible that one or more of the things mentioned in that guide might be causing your glitches...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

chapelier fou
Posts: 5075
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:14 am

thanks for the serious link, fishmonkey. I'm quite ok with everything, except for spotlight.
i am trying over usb now, so far so good. if it works, then i'll try TB with a new (40€ !!!!!!!!!) cable.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

invol
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:47 am
Location: NYC - Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by invol » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:36 am

RME Fireface 800 is incredibly stable and has 10 analog outs, plus another 18 digital. Best drivers in the business, great converters, awesome Total Mix software and great metering software too. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I've had mine for 8 years and still love it.
MacPro DualQuad 2.8 GHz 10GB RAM OSX 10.9 • RME Fireface 800 Push Launchpad Virus TI2
Owner: Devotion - Brooklyn's only Ableton Certified Training Center
Author:The Music Producer's Survival Guide
Form Labs on SoundCloud

joeyfivecents
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:18 am
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Contact:

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:38 am

Saffire Pro 40 with Thunderbolt adaptor working perfectly here on both a MacBook Pro 13" non-retina 2012 model and an iMac 21" 2014 model, both running Mavericks 10.9.3
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Fender Jaguar, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

chapelier fou
Posts: 5075
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am

invol wrote:RME Fireface 800 is incredibly stable and has 10 analog outs, plus another 18 digital. Best drivers in the business, great converters, awesome Total Mix software and great metering software too. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I've had mine for 8 years and still love it.
Huh, i count 8...
joeyfivecents wrote:Saffire Pro 40 with Thunderbolt adaptor working perfectly here on both a MacBook Pro 13" non-retina 2012 model and an iMac 21" 2014 model, both running Mavericks 10.9.3
Valuable info, thanks !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4134
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:07 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
invol wrote:RME Fireface 800 is incredibly stable and has 10 analog outs, plus another 18 digital. Best drivers in the business, great converters, awesome Total Mix software and great metering software too. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I've had mine for 8 years and still love it.
Huh, i count 8...
10 is including the two unbalanced L/R headphone outputs...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

chapelier fou
Posts: 5075
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 pm

well my sound mate told me he worked with someone using the headphones out of an RME and it produced a high pitched hum. Any experience with this ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4134
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm

well they are unbalanced outputs so that could be a problem at times...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

invol
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:47 am
Location: NYC - Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by invol » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 pm

fishmonkey wrote:well they are unbalanced outputs so that could be a problem at times...
Unbalanced would only be a problem if you need to run the cables more than 14'. Balanced is not inherently better sounding.
MacPro DualQuad 2.8 GHz 10GB RAM OSX 10.9 • RME Fireface 800 Push Launchpad Virus TI2
Owner: Devotion - Brooklyn's only Ableton Certified Training Center
Author:The Music Producer's Survival Guide
Form Labs on SoundCloud

login
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by login » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 pm

chapelier fou wrote:What i can tell using my RME UCX with an adaptor :
it works perfectly when it works. But it often stops working after the computer sleep mode (i have to switch off and on the card), and it produces some glitchy sounds at computer startup.

You shouldn't be using sleep mdoe with audio interfaces, it's always a problem.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4134
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:10 am

invol wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:well they are unbalanced outputs so that could be a problem at times...
Unbalanced would only be a problem if you need to run the cables more than 14'. Balanced is not inherently better sounding.
it's true that balanced systems can actually sound worse if the extra circuitry at each end isn't right.

balanced connections are especially helpful for long cable runs, however a properly balanced connection can be helpful over shorter distances too. issues are also sometimes caused when connecting unbalanced gear to balanced gear.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

chapelier fou
Posts: 5075
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:06 am

login wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:What i can tell using my RME UCX with an adaptor :
it works perfectly when it works. But it often stops working after the computer sleep mode (i have to switch off and on the card), and it produces some glitchy sounds at computer startup.

You shouldn't be using sleep mdoe with audio interfaces, it's always a problem.
Sure, i wrote that in the beginning of my investigations. i removed all these options since. It appeared that this is not the cause of the problem.
fishmonkey wrote:well they are unbalanced outputs so that could be a problem at times...
i am referring to the different impedance. they don't put the specs on rme's website for the FF800, but for instance, the UCX :

Output impedance: 75 Ohm (for 1-6)

Output impedance: 30 Ohm (for 7-8)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

yup yup
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 am
Location: everywhere

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by yup yup » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:52 am

I have been running two Motu cards (828mk3&Traveler) daisy chained for a couple of years now without any probs for 18 analogue i/o.

Apogee symphony 16x16 looks ok =)

Post Reply