Bad crackling problems with Ableton only, any ideas?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
colurer

Bad crackling problems with Ableton only, any ideas?

Post by colurer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:43 pm

I've been having a pretty irritating issue for months now which seems to be exclusive to my Focusrite 2i4 & Ableton on Mavericks where I get this wave of bizarre crackling/static sounds every 5 - 8 minutes or so. have tried multiple upgrades of Ableton, and trials. It happens when playing through my interface, so mic or guitar/bass signals and it does seem to be exclusive to Ableton, I opened Logic Pro and played for a while through that without issue. I have tried literally EVERYTHING I can think of, including sending my interface in for repair - which apparently was not the issue (they still swapped the board for me just to be safe.)

These are a few samples from when the static has occurred in my recordings (these were the only items in the file at that time, so it was not CPU overload as it was at 4%) https://soundcloud.com/chriselsasser/cr ... -again-osx & https://soundcloud.com/chriselsasser/wh ... -no-reverb .

The only official suggestion i've ever come across is the "class compliant mode" fix on the Focusrite website, but I installed and ran that app - it asked me to unplug the scarlett, and restart, which I did - and this problem still persists.

I have of course adjusted buffer, latency settings ranging from 64, up to 1024. Also plugged directly into my macbook, tried plugging in through a powered USB hub, tried removing every other peripheral from my mac so it was just the interface and my mac. Turned Phantom power on/off, purchased a voltage regulator thinking it was electrical problems... it just continues through everything.

My system is a very capable Retina Macbook 15" 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB ram, Mavericks, and is not experiencing any CPU overload.

Please note this does NOT occur with my older M-audio USB interface in any software... only my 2i4, and the 2i4 DOES work in other DAW's...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Stromkraft

Re: Bad crackling problems with Ableton only, any ideas?

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm

colurer wrote:
My system is a very capable Retina Macbook 15" 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB ram, Mavericks, and is not experiencing any CPU overload.

Please note this does NOT occur with my older M-audio USB interface in any software... only my 2i4, and the 2i4 DOES work in other DAW's...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
What can you tell about the drivers. Have you seen reports of their compatibility with Mavericks? Focusrite is known for tight drivers?

I chose the RME Babyface in favor of the Focusrite Saffire 14 because of drivers. Though the Saffire would probably do as good, I knew RME drivers were good and I liked the sound of theBabyface.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

colurer

Re: Bad crackling problems with Ableton only, any ideas?

Post by colurer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
What can you tell about the drivers. Have you seen reports of their compatibility with Mavericks? Focusrite is known for tight drivers?

I choosed the RME Babyface in favor of the Focusrite Saffire 14 because of drivers. Though the Saffire would probably do as good, I knew RME drivers were good and I liked the sound of theBabyface.
Well unfortunately I don't have any options for the Focusrite drivers on a Mac as these 2i4's are just plug and play. There is nothing to download or overwrite. The most they extend on that front is the option to download a small App which puts your machine back into Class Compliant mode which was supposed to rectify any issues with Mavericks, but that has not changed anything for me...