Plugin for Scratching in ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Willyum

Re: Plugin for Scratching in ableton

Post by Willyum » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:53 pm

I knew I would hate PUSH not having a crossfader!!!
I threw it on with Serato vinyl just to scratch without crossfade to feel a response and it felt pretty good. but having a controller with a proper feeling crossfader will be the real test.. I'm guessing this won't work with a real mixer. so before I go breaking out the dusty apc40 I'd like to know what is your plan is for:
Early Adopters...
Update prices...
Future Plans (working with real mixers... Features you're considering)...

Not to sound like a dick, but I been stuck with half baked projects that got sold off to bigger companies and went down the toilet and was no longer supported... Since you only have 5 post, I'd like to know you're not gonna just make a buck and bounce!

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Wow, good stuff.

Pretty sure this is my jam, whether I ever get anything back from it or not. After all, I've been working on this stuff for over 10 years so far and haven't made a buck yet. So ... yeah ... I'll be around.

This particular project has been around a couple years now (notice this is version 2.46 we're on). I've had a ton of requests, and I definitely plan on getting to most of them ... particularly:

- two turntables!
- a few basic effects
- some videos to demo setup and automation
- support for midi platter scratching*

* on that last one .... some users have had positive results with some midi platters. The "scratch" parameter in the plugin is essentially the play freq (ranging -4 to +4 times normal speed). So ... if you have a platter that throws out a midi signal of 65 for stopped, and 80 for normal play speed, it should work. I haven't tested it myself, but know that a few users do this (actually I'd love more report on that if anyone else tries it).

@Juan you get all set up? I know you sent me a few emails, so we'll get you sorted out. I assume you entered the free key I gave you and are rocking it now. Let me know if not.
Last edited by aaronleese on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:41 pm

I'll be able to try it tonight, THANKS!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:58 pm

So after messing around with this plug in I got some questions as well as some feedback.

What does Live Input do?

I like how the browser works, but it would be nice to have a search feature.

I noticed when trying to do really fast cuts, that the timing of the tracks was jittering backwards.
In other words, if I had a sound cued at 9 oclock, and worked on fast stabs, that 9 oclock mark seems to move back and fourth but slowly drifting backwards over time until the sound is at like 6 oclock and so on.

When in loop mode, sometimes there is a messed up glitchy sound on the loop point.
Loop mode doesn't work with multiple loops.
Loop mode doesn't work with 2 instances of the plug in.

It's kind of buggy, it locked up on me twice while testing all this stuff.
Sometimes buttons freeze up etc.

I feel like you could get someone with graphic design experience to help with the GUI.
Some of it's cool, other parts see out of place.
There's a graphic that constantly moves behind the scrolling waveform, visually it's confusing to see it competing with the waveform.

One thing Serato did right with their software was making the wave forms vertical.

This is a cool idea, I hope you keep pushing forward.

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Good stuff. Live input lets you scratch incoming (live) audio. There is a good explanation in the setup docs, here:
http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/produ ... ive-input/

Search function is coming soon.

Regarding fast cuts - If the vinyl input is too weak (or two strong, and maxing) then you can get this. Try using the utility function in ableton to condition in the incoming vinyl input. I'll add a level indicator to the vinyl control panel to help with calibration for this.

Glitch sound on loop point - Yeah, thats a resampling bug. I fixed it last week, but the update isn't pushed yet. You'll see it soon. The plugin should auto-update, so you'll just see this issue disappear (soon, I promise).

Loop mode doesn't work with multiple loops?
Loop mode doesn't work with 2 instances of the plug in?

Seems cool here .... send me more info if you can.

UI - I get mostly positive feedback on the UI, and I am a designer ... so ... probably gonna just leave this as it is. If you have specific things you don't like about it, feel free to drop me an email with suggestions.
The gradient behind the waveform is functional (Those are measures ... notice the 1 hits when the grey part of the gradient passes the playhead).

There is a lively debate on vertical vs. horizontal waveforms. I actually have both in my standalone DJ system (Livetronica Studio), but only horizontal here. Might change that eventually, but not right away. I'm putting out a verion of this with 2 turntables soon ... so maybe for that one I'll let people customize the layout as I do with LT studio.

Thanks for all the feedback Juan !

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Cool, I was unclear what channel the Live In was, thanks!
Will try it out when I get home tonight.

I only have Ms Pinky and Traktor records.
Seems the Pinky is a little tighter.

corporation

Post by corporation » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 pm

I really wanted to try this out, but it only receives signal on inputs 1/2... I use a Tascam M-164UF and the Phono input is on inputs 9/10... :( would love to see a selectable input option.

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:20 am

Actually, it's quite easy to route any inputs to the 1&2 on the plugin. Remember, since this is a plugin, it's not interfacing with the hardware directly (the host does that).

So .... in ableton .... you just use the input dropdown to select inputs 9&10. easy.

Here is the setup guide, which should help:
http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/produ ... nyl-setup/