vs 5: Simple features that cant miss the cut!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supster

vs 5: Simple features that cant miss the cut!

Post by supster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:49 am

ok we have at least partial list of features .. awesome so far .. and for sure some are not announced yet.

like: recent file list in the file list. we have an answer, its in .. cool ..

but - we should make a list of simple features that if they arent already in, really ought to be considered seriously during beta testing to see if they can make it before realease

like:

1 - user configurable keys for all the functions

basically simple - i would think - because most major applications that have a lot of keyboard commands have this. for a daw - especaily one built to be configurable and efficient and play live like an instrument its a necessity really

2 - consolidate in session view

would think this would be straightforward because its the same function you do on arrange view. highlight the clip and *key command* bounce your clip envelopes and start marker placement to a new clip. maybe even type in a new length and have it consolidate to that new length ..

please, because this one thing would take one command where it takes like, up to 10 seperate steps to do now every single time you do it. which is a lot.

there are some more but you get the idea, if you have last minute "gotta have this, please get it in or i will go nuts" things like this (not "DUAL PROSESSORZ SUPPORT NOW!!!" ) feel free to add ..
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:52 am

another one:

- MIDI merge for clips

cant be too labor intensive to add a feature that just merges two midi clips together when you drop one on the other.

right now it replaces, but a key modifier would be the simplest way to do it. this is another thing that would to a long way ..

but maybe this is an example of something thats more involved than it looks on the surface

:?:
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:54 am

nr 2 you are asking.

Isn't that the freeze feature they added?

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:22 am

hoffman2k wrote:nr 2 you are asking.

Isn't that the freeze feature they added?

freeze is awesome yeah, but it freezes all the settings of the track into all of the clips in the track, right? thats what it sounds like

in that case it really doesnt cover the minute to minute case of consolidating clips with thier volume, envelope and start marker settings. or just making a 2 bar clip into a double 4 bar one

you'd have have a single clip in the track to use freeze.

this one definitely falls into the 'we dont really know yet but if it doesnt cover it can you get it in during beta' category i guess :)
--

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:30 am

Yeah. I wonder if we should send them coffee.
We can't really send them bear, because they need to stay focused and can only sleep 4 hours a night. :wink:

One thing is for sure. I have allot of questions. But there is no point in asking them now. You know how they are. In the beta forum we will get allot of questions answered.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:39 am

hoffman2k wrote:One thing is for sure. I have allot of questions. But there is no point in asking them now. You know how they are. In the beta forum we will get allot of questions answered.
uhm, yeah - a lot of those questions will be answered the first time you boot up that beta.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:47 am

Machinate wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:One thing is for sure. I have allot of questions. But there is no point in asking them now. You know how they are. In the beta forum we will get allot of questions answered.
uhm, yeah - a lot of those questions will be answered the first time you boot up that beta.
No. It's then i'll start thinking of the questions i will ask :wink:
The questions i have now are to short anyway.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:51 am

Gotcha - hehe you're such a nerd! :wink:

Andreas (nerd)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Machinate wrote:Gotcha - hehe you're such a nerd! :wink:

Andreas (nerd)
Takes one to know one
Nerds get the chicks these days anyway. So i have no trouble with being one.
:wink:

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:50 pm

yeah yeah i know ... im sitting here trying to wrap up a project and going "man this would go so much faster if we just had ... agghh!" kind of things, like

- Double click on brackets in arrange or clip snaps the loop to window length

you know, fast simple easy

whats patience ..

--

Riff Valley

Post by Riff Valley » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:02 pm

The ability to set all audio clips to RAM based, as a default option.

This will be made slightly easier by the new global clip change command.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:28 pm

Riff Valley wrote:The ability to set all audio clips to RAM based, as a default option.

This will be made slightly easier by the new global clip change command.
Great idea. Seems easy to implement as a Preferences default "All clips to Ram" [tick]

jasefos

Re: vs 5: Simple features that cant miss the cut!

Post by jasefos » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:27 pm

supster wrote:ok we have at least partial list of features .. awesome so far .. and for sure some are not announced yet.

like: recent file list in the file list. we have an answer, its in .. cool ..

but - we should make a list of simple features that if they arent already in, really ought to be considered seriously during beta testing to see if they can make it before realease

like:

1 - user configurable keys for all the functions

basically simple - i would think - because most major applications that have a lot of keyboard commands have this. for a daw - especaily one built to be configurable and efficient and play live like an instrument its a necessity really

2 - consolidate in session view

would think this would be straightforward because its the same function you do on arrange view. highlight the clip and *key command* bounce your clip envelopes and start marker placement to a new clip. maybe even type in a new length and have it consolidate to that new length ..

please, because this one thing would take one command where it takes like, up to 10 seperate steps to do now every single time you do it. which is a lot.

there are some more but you get the idea, if you have last minute "gotta have this, please get it in or i will go nuts" things like this (not "DUAL PROSESSORZ SUPPORT NOW!!!" ) feel free to add ..

The number of times while using Live I've **wished** for these 2 things is just plain silly !

hopefully for Live 5 - but who knows - maybe Live 6 ...
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

supster

Re: vs 5: Simple features that cant miss the cut!

Post by supster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm

jasefos wrote:
The number of times while using Live I've **wished** for these 2 things is just plain silly !

hopefully for Live 5 - but who knows - maybe Live 6 ...
no! we cant wait. its too important,

live is about efficiency and working faster ... these are relatively simple things but not small.

most music software has things like these, and live doesnt?.

and some of them have been requested since vs 2
--

mosca

Post by mosca » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:42 pm

i'd be happy with them fixing the bug in impulse

sorry to bleat on about it but i'd rather have that fixed than an arpegiator

mosca