vs 5: Simple features that cant miss the cut!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
basetwo

Post by basetwo » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:12 am

No offense, but I hope that none of this is being added "at the last minute". From a development standpoint this is always a bad idea and called "feature creep".

At some point the development team needs to freeze the feature set so they can focus on bugs that come to light during alpha/beta testing. If they keep adding features, even little ones that should be quick to add, they run the risk of not getting bugs taken care of that they can.

By all means I'd like to see this stuff implemented, but not in the 5.0 release... They'd be good candidates for a minor version release.
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP

Remco Halderhooter

Post by Remco Halderhooter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Regarding the Impulse click bug...

When I drag a section of audio from the Arrange view, I drag it onto an empty track first, ctrl+j and then drag it onto the Impulse pad. If I dragged it straight onto Impulse I would get a click - now I don't.

cheers, RH

brecht

Post by brecht » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:12 pm

Remco Halderhooter wrote:Regarding the Impulse click bug...

When I drag a section of audio from the Arrange view, I drag it onto an empty track first, ctrl+j and then drag it onto the Impulse pad. If I dragged it straight onto Impulse I would get a click - now I don't.

cheers, RH
I noticed that consolidating eliminates the click as well. Unfortunately, you have to stop audio to consolidate a clip. I really like being able to throw stuff into the impulse in the middle of a live set and that leaves the consolidate option out. Besides, the more streamlined the process, the better, no?

mosca

Post by mosca » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:21 am

the manual states that dragging on to impulse allows you to create drum kits on the fly.

as it stands it doesnt, it didnt in 4 nor did it in any of the subsequent updates. i understand that this is a small 'feature' compared to what the guys are working on just now - but, you know, it should do what it says on the tin. i mentioned this in the bugs forum and even posted audio samples to prove that it did in fact happen. other people have since stated that they have the same problem.

impulse has a bug in it, is the bug fixed in the new version? will it ever be fixed? there are only 3 instruments that come with live - and one hasnt worked right from the get go - to me its quite an important feature that i'd love to use but right now have to mess about thru various workarounds to get a semi okay result.

i expect to be flamed by people who dont use this feature and just want an arpegiator but there you go

rant over

mos

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:27 am

mosca wrote: impulse has a bug in it, is the bug fixed in the new version?
i dont use this feature that often, but when i have ive noticed the same thing.

sounds like when you drag a bracketed clip into an impulse slot, its not trunciating the right bracket at a zero crossing. and/or it should be doing a short auto-fade out, and its not.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:37 am

There are a couple of things that bother me when using Live:

1-When I save a set template and it has a different BPM then the default 120bpm, then I open Live some other time and start previewing some clips in the browser, the clips stil sound like theyre playing at 120bpm. But then when i drag the clip in, that's when it starts playing at the bpm i set as default. Please fix this so that previewing in the browser will match up with with template set when you open Live.

2-When there is a clip in a track, somtimes I want to take that clip and put it in a new track, but when i drag it over to an empty space in the session, it doesn't make a new track. Instead, I get this cancel sign. So I have to make a new track before I drag a clip in from another track. Please have it so that when dragging a clip from a track to an empty part of the session view, it makes a new track.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:16 pm

one simple thing that's really annoying:

when you click "send update" to an external midi controller, TEMPO information is NOT SENT. if you then move the knob to which you assigned the tempo, this can lead to a BIG tempo jump. not very musical...

on a side note, it would be nice if there was a "soft takeover" option for knobs (if possible on a per knob basis).