iPad apps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SLEEarts

iPad apps

Post by SLEEarts » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm really missing a companion mobile app for Live these days.

In the meantime, is anyone aware of a MIDI sequencer for iPad that can automate the tempo over the timeline? I've done quite a bit of research, and I've found nothing. It blows me away that developers could leave out something so basic.

ezelkow1

Re: iPad apps

Post by ezelkow1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 pm

For companion apps:
Touchable
Conductr
Lemur

I havent tried conductr yet

Touchable covers just about every ableton function you would need (besides arrangement stuff), and does it in a fairly easy manner

Lemur has a live control template, but I havent touched the latest incantation since its update. The old one was fairly broken so i assume they have fixed it up. At least with lemur you get a ton of expandability, however I dont believe its as user friendly as touchable, then again touchable is tied directly to ableton for everything

-edit
So just gave conductr a quick try. It certain looks nice and is fairly easy to understand. However in comparison to either of the other 2 options its still missing alot of functionality. It does not have any midi input. Touchable has a push style keyboard, piano keyboard, and drum pads. I believe lemur has at least a push keyboard and possibly the other two as well. Conductr also doesnt have a way to load any devices that I could see. Again touchable can load anything directly from the library (wont do vsts but thats a live api issue not touchable) and can load any effects you want as well. I dont know if lemur can do that either.

Also I have yet to try it, but apparently with touchable you can hook up a midi controller via the usb camera kit, and touchable will act as though that was plugged directly in to live. So live will automap to your controller as if it was physically there.

If conductr added a keyboard and load functionality, then I would definitely go for it, but at this point it costs almost as much as touchable and does a lot less

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:42 am

I think the intent of Conductr is not as a full fledged Live apparatus, but explicitly being for live use with common live parameters quickly at your disposal and arranged in a logical way.

Haven't tried it, but images have me curious about how that aspect works :)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

+1. I use TouchOSC/LiveControl quite a bit, but I'd still LOVE it if Ableton made an iPad app.

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Due to my own lack of specifics, the Live control apps you mentioned aren't really what I'm looking for.

I'm after more of a complete MIDI sequencer app that would allow me to compose and edit midi files on the road that I could then export for further production in Live. Something like Gadget or GarageBand or Cubasis. None of these allow for tempo automation, though.