Problem installing Max for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vincentxo

Problem installing Max for Live

Post by vincentxo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Hello,

I can't manage to install Max for Live.

I had Live 8, 32-bit, installed on my PC, windows 7. I upgraded yesterday to Live 9.1.4, 32-bit, Standard. Downloaded Max 6.1.8, authorized Live 9 under Preferences-Licenses, but couldn't find max under File Folder. Now, when I launch Live 9, Max for Live appears for like 1 second under Categories and then disappears. I noticed that I couldn't even properly open Max 6.1.8 seperately. I deleted it and downloaded the 6.0 version, which I now can open seperately (banner for the 30 days demo, and I can go in) but I still cannot open it from Ableton Live 9.

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot from Switzerland!

biestyboy

Re: Problem installing Max for Live

Post by biestyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Did you purchase M4L separately to the Live9 upgrade as I think M4L is only bundled with the Suite version of Live9.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

vincentxo

Post by vincentxo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Yes, I downloaded seperately the 30 days demo version from here:http://cycling74.com/downloads/maxforlive/
Actually, I don't quiet exactely understand what is included in the Live 9 upgrade, what is not, do I have to pay for something, and if there is a difference between Max and Max for Live...

Oh, and the Live 8 version is still running on my computer. I don't wanted to erase it, as I was in the middle of a project and I don't wanted to loose everything. I don't know it plays a role in my problem.

Thanks!

ark

Post by ark » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

In order to be able to use Max for Live, you need to install Max separately. It is sufficient to install the demo version, but you do need to install it.

vincentxo

Post by vincentxo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Ok, thank you Ark. Is it what I did when I downloaded Max from here (http://cycling74.com/downloads/maxforlive/)?
I don't see seperate links for Max and for Max for Live.
I can open the Max 6.0 demo version seperately, but not from Ableton.

ark

Post by ark » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:34 pm

vincentxo wrote:Ok, thank you Ark. Is it what I did when I downloaded Max from here (http://cycling74.com/downloads/maxforlive/)?
I don't see seperate links for Max and for Max for Live.
I can open the Max 6.0 demo version seperately, but not from Ableton.
You also have to open the "File/Folder" tab in Live's options and tell it where the Max installation folder is.

If you've done that, how did you try to use Max for Live and what happened when you tried?

vincentxo

Post by vincentxo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm

That's something I can't do. As I understand, under File/Folder in Ableton, I should find the mention "Max Application", and there should be a "Browse" button to tell Ableton where the folder is. But there is just nothing of that sort. (I only have 3 things -ok, it's in french- like "choose the actual set", "decoding cache" and "plug-ins source".)

ark

Post by ark » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Is it possible that you have installed the wrong version of Live?

vincentxo

Post by vincentxo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Mmh, that was actually the version that was proposed on my Ableton account. The 9.1.4 32-bit upgrade of my 8.2.1 version. Should be ok, or?

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:12 am

vincentxo wrote:Yes, I downloaded seperately the 30 days demo version from here:http://cycling74.com/downloads/maxforlive/
Actually, I don't quiet exactely understand what is included in the Live 9 upgrade, what is not, do I have to pay for something, and if there is a difference between Max and Max for Live...

Oh, and the Live 8 version is still running on my computer. I don't wanted to erase it, as I was in the middle of a project and I don't wanted to loose everything. I don't know it plays a role in my problem.

Thanks!
It's still not clear to me what you're licensed for. If you go to Your Account on Ableton's website and select View License Details, do you have Max for Live listed? This page also gives you the download link for the correct version of M4L.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

vincentxo

Post by vincentxo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 am

Under Licese Details, I have:
-Live 9 Standard (Upgrade), that's the version I downloaded a few days ago
-Live 8 Boxed, that's the one I bought at the shop
-Essential Instrument Collection, I didn't even know I had that...

No mention of M4L. Should there be one, even if I downloaded a demo version?

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 am

vincentxo wrote:Under Licese Details, I have:
-Live 9 Standard (Upgrade), that's the version I downloaded a few days ago
-Live 8 Boxed, that's the one I bought at the shop
-Essential Instrument Collection, I didn't even know I had that...

No mention of M4L. Should there be one, even if I downloaded a demo version?
I think so. M4L only comes with Live 9 Suite or can be bought separate, neither of which are listed. AFAIK M4L doesnt have a demo so I assume you've got a demo of the full version of Max running, which is a separate program. I could be wrong here though.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 am

biestyboy beat me to most of what I'v written, I'll post it anyway.
vincentxo wrote:-Live 9 Standard (Upgrade),
No M4L for you.
The license is not included in Standard, only in the Suite or as a separate purchase from Ableton.

I don't know if theres's a demo mode switch in Live Standard licenses preference (as I remember it from Intro 8) to temporarily unlock all Suite Instruments and M4L. In that mode you wouldn't be able to save sets, but you could try the functions you're not licensed to.

The Max Download from cycling74 is a 30-day trial for Max in standalone mode, but neccessary for M4L to work inside Live, which has it's own licensing mechanisms.

vincentxo

Post by vincentxo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 am

Ok, thank you. Yes, I think that my demo is a demo of the full seperate version. So, the only way for me is to buy Max for Live. I would have liked to try it before, just to know if it's really what I need. Too bad it's not possible, unlike Ableton... I will watch some more tutorials and demo videos to have a better idea of what you can do with M4L. The infos about Max/Max for Live/Max demo seemed a little bit confusing to me on Ableton and Max's websites.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your quick and gentle help, I really appreciated it!

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:05 am

vincentxo wrote: Too bad it's not possible, unlike Ableton...
Again, I may have not been clear enough: Look at the License tab in Live's preferences. There may be a button to unlock features of Suite inc. M4L for trial. I can't look myself, because I alread own the Suite (and am in the office now, anyway :D ). After activating this button you'd have to close and restart Live, to get back to your licensed features, deactivate it and close and restart again.