Hardware Synth Recommendations for Tech House

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ableton_noob

Hardware Synth Recommendations for Tech House

Post by ableton_noob » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 pm

I currently have a setup consisting of Live 9 and Push and have been thinking of buying a hardware synth to complement my setup. I have been looking at a Moog Minitaur. I mainly make tech house stuff and recently read an interview with the producers NIce 7 talking about the gear they use on some of their tracks. On Their track 'Get Physical' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSFJEKLPBUs THey say they used a Moog Voyager for the bassline. Would the Minitaur be able to produce a similar sound to this? Would the minitaur fit my needs for tech house productions. I realise its limited octave range but i dont think that would be an issue.

ImNotDedYet

Re: Hardware Synth Recommendations for Tech House

Post by ImNotDedYet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm

ableton_noob wrote:I currently have a setup consisting of Live 9 and Push and have been thinking of buying a hardware synth to complement my setup. I have been looking at a Moog Minitaur. I mainly make tech house stuff and recently read an interview with the producers NIce 7 talking about the gear they use on some of their tracks. On Their track 'Get Physical' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSFJEKLPBUs THey say they used a Moog Voyager for the bassline. Would the Minitaur be able to produce a similar sound to this? Would the minitaur fit my needs for tech house productions. I realise its limited octave range but i dont think that would be an issue.
The Voyager's bad ass (and expensive) and pretty versatile. The Minitaur is very specific to basslines. You'll find most mono synths are going to be particular to basslines and leads, but some just work for basslines.

You can go a number of routes for hardware, but it really depends on what you want from it and what your budget is. Do you want to be able to play chords or just single notes? (polyphonic/monophonic) Do you want it solely for bass or more versatile with upper range possibilities as well? Dual oscillators for a bit more complex sound or will single work? What about sub oscillators for bass?

Personally, I wouldn't drop $600 USD for a hardware synth to chase one specific sound. Get on youtube and listen to demos of different synths to find an overall sound characteristic you like about a synth, then make sure other than the sound the other features or lack of features is OK with you. Some others to look at in "similar" price ranges are the Moog XPhatty series, some of the lower end Dave Smiths, Novation Bass Station II, Arturia Mini Brute at least for monos. Polys are going to be more expensive in most cases, but you're going to have a lot more power at your fingertips. Go to a local store and play around with them if at all possible.

I can't personally say one synth will or won't work for you in tech house. The right person could probably make any synth work for tech house, it's a matter of how you work and what you want out of the synth.

login

Post by login » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 pm

All moogs share the basic tone because the design of the filter in all of them is very similar and in many casas the same.

I have a minitaur and it makes great bass, it's easy to learn because almost all controls are in the front, the vst editor works well (but configuring it the first time takes some patience).

So pick one second hand and if you don't like it you can sell it with out loosing money.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:45 pm

You might want something a little more versatile for your first hardware synth. Possibly a Waldorf Blofeld or Access Virus Snow, neither are Analog (Virtual Analog) but both are very extensive and you won't feel like you've run out of sounds you can make with them, they are both very deep synths, sound great, and work great for house bass, leads, pads, chords, arps, FX, noises, etc....
http://www.soundcloud.com/airyck-sterrett
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 7 & 8 /
2016 Macbook Pro 15"
Too much hardware to list

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 am

Buy Zebra plus a Sherman Filterbank!
Control Zebra with Push.

The best of both worlds

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:35 am

In my humble opinion Waldorf's Pulse II is the most versatile analogue monosynth around 500 euros. 3 OSCs, filter modulation, endless modulation capabilities, vst editor, allmighty arpeggiator. You can even play chords on it in paraphonic mode. If i was to choose a dedicated synth for techno styles I'd go for this one, it delivers deep precise bass but it also can get quite nasty.

If i needed a keyboard, novation bass station II would come to mind. Never liked the novation sound (just sold my mininova), but that thing surprised me. Lots of music in that box

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 am

For noobs I would recomend from all my hart an interface with all controls accessible on the front pannel. Moogs, Arturia Minibrute, etc. On lower budget Novation Bass Station 2 is def very cool and versatile, with 2 lfos and what not. Prob a great first HW synth.
? ? ? ? ?

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 pm

The Suite instruments can pull it off just fine (with a little programming), but a little hardware can be inspiring sometimes.

I own an old Novation Nova and I have read that the Bass Station 2 has a similar sound (often compared with vintage Roland synths: on the smooth side, great for pads, bass, decent leads, and versatile. Generally not considered mega aggressive though). I would definitely recommend the sound of my Nova for Tech House music. Novation has built some pretty versatile synths(important in a first synth I think).

If however you need an external soundcard, I would opt for the Ultranova as you would also get a 2in 4out soundcard.

Schmidi