NI Komplete Kontrol

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: NI Komplete Kontrol

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Read some of the posts on the NI Komplete Kontrol forum. It’s :x how many posts are complaining about/asking how to do things NI said it can’t do.

There are two of schools of thought there. Since they are so expensive I guess some people just assume it does a lot more vs if you are going to drop that much money on a controller do some minimal research before you make the investment. I don’t even own the thing and NI made it quite clear what it does and doesn’t do (yet). I’m with the “do some minimal damn research” crowd. :x

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:19 pm

I think they should have included the screens in Studio, even though it would have cost a bit more. The keyboard is high quality, but many of us have other methods of inputting notes (including Push). It should have been a Maschine Studio with a keyboard instead of pads... (as the mockup suggests) - I will certainly expect this in the coming couple of years.

The way it is implemented now, it is the keyboard equivalent of the Maschine Mikro....

However, it is certainly worthwhile as a Komplete controller, but if you own Maschine and Komplete, you can tweak with Maschine and perform with any keyboard (I'm not a performing keyboard virtuoso, so don't need the Fatar ...

Still, like others, I do keep looking at it..... :)
Last edited by Buleriachk on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I think they should have included the screens in Studio, even though it would have cost a bit more. The keyboard is high quality, but many of us have other methods of inputting notes (including Push). It should have been a Maschine Studio with a keyboard instead of pads... (as the mockup suggests).

The way it is implemented now, it is the keyboard equivalent of the Maschine Mikro....

They had to save something for the mk II version (which will also be more expensive) and will probably be seen as more of a performance controller. I think this first version is more aimed at producers who aren’t obsessed with not having to look at the computer.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm

beats me wrote: They had to save something for the mk II version (which will also be more expensive) and will probably be seen as more of a performance controller. I think this first version is more aimed at testing the market and seeing if there's a demand, if there is they'll release a full featured version that will require the new hardware.
Fixed.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: They had to save something for the mk II version (which will also be more expensive) and will probably be seen as more of a performance controller. I think this first version is more aimed at testing the market and seeing if there's a demand, if there is they'll release a full featured version that will require the new hardware.
Fixed.

OK, true that. But given NI’s history on plugins I think a keyboard would have made sense long before Mashine. But Maschine was probably just a gateway tester for their DAW.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 am

The 61 key version must be selling quite well (or were under manufactured) because they are on backorder on all the retail sites I’ve checked. They were available for a short time on some of them.

BTW. If you aren't following the OSX Yosemite threads, NI is reporting that their software is running fine but all their hardware isn't due to some AVID horseshit. :x

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:08 pm

I just realized that this is absolutely amazing! This should be it's own post! With this, you really don't need to buy a Komplete Kontrol S-series keyboard. The only issue is that you have to scroll presets with a mouse but everything else integrates well.

Udo, I don't want to steal your spotlight but I highly recommend you post this on the Ableton forum more clearly, I have seen many people asking for this!

phakju

Post by phakju » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:50 pm

I do not recall that I have seen the following in this thread ... here is a little work around that tells how to record Komplete Kontrol chords/arps into Ableton Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YB9nQd ... freload=10
MacBookPro, OSX 10.11.4, Ableton 9.6.2b, Max 7.2.1 both 64bit

Danny_DJ

Post by Danny_DJ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Hey guys,

I cannot get my S61 smart play (SPF) functionality to follow multiple armed destination tracks with ableton onboard instruments.

I follow NI's official guide how to use SPF w/ 3rd party VSTs and it works as long as both the NI and ableton track are armed simultaneously. since a natural track creation workflow incorporates frequent track selections, I need to quickly select single tracks (with Push e.g.). But this makes me lose the connection between the NI track and the keyboard and therefore it's lightguide.

is there any solution for that? being dependent on features implemented in software rather than hardware sucks here big time.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:32 pm

phakju wrote:I do not recall that I have seen the following in this thread ... here is a little work around that tells how to record Komplete Kontrol chords/arps into Ableton Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YB9nQd ... freload=10

Hey thanks for this, as an S61 user it will really come in handy.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com