Clip Freeze Live 5 ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
korn666

Clip Freeze Live 5 ???

Post by korn666 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:49 am

me is curious about that clip freeze function in Live5

Is it really possible to copy and arrange these freezed clips to arrange a song ?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:10 am

as i understand it , YES

clip freeze should function as an automatic resample.
so basically instead of setting up your routing, and recording a new sample.. it does all this automatically, and also disables the instruments/fx that you originally used automatically.

but no one other than an Ableton can answer your question for sure 100% until the beta starts. so have some patience, shouldn't be more than another week or two.

kick_kick_snare

Post by kick_kick_snare » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:32 am

With clip freeze, will it freeze the instrument and the fx or just the instrument? and if you can freeze the fx as well as the instrument, will you be able to then add more fx on top of those while they are still frozen? Humm...
I like jam.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm

The way i see it it wil freeze everything in the effect chain, and then switch to an audio track, so you'll be able to warp, clip env, effect the whole thing all over again. ..and then repeat ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:50 pm

another querie,,,, frozen = wav file???

then is it possible to load the frozen track that is now asumingly a wav file in cool edit editor for ie???
hurry up.... mr squigle....

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:45 pm

Machinate wrote:The way i see it it wil freeze everything in the effect chain, and then switch to an audio track, so you'll be able to warp, clip env, effect the whole thing all over again. ..and then repeat ;)
I don't think this would be right. If you froze it, then changed warp markers, then when you "unfroze" it, the warp markers would be all wrong.

I don't think you can do anything with it once it is frozen.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:58 pm

this depends on how they've set up the freeze function. A frozen file is still just a wavefile, which can be manipulated. Of course you can't unfreeze a frozen track that has been manipulated at the sample level. Think of it as a quick-n-easy multiclip rendering as well.

:wink:

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:55 pm

from the announcement... wrote: The new Freeze command has two purposes: freeing up CPU power and easing the transfer of projects between computers. "Freezing" a track transparently creates sample files for all clips in the track. These sample files are then played instead of CPU-intensive real-time instruments and effects. While a track is frozen, you cannot change the details of its clips - but, unique to Live 5, "frozen" clips retain their real-time launch capabilities. This means that you can improvise, perform and sketch out song arrangements even while tracks are frozen.
To me, this reads as you can launch the clips, copy them around and whatnot, but you can't "mess" with them. They don't appear to be treated as rendered audio clips, they are special "frozen clips". I say this because it specifically states the frozen clips "retain their real-time launch capabilities". I would think that they would say more about it if you could then jack with the clips after they were frozen.

I mean, what's the advantage of having a frozen clip that you can't go back to and change the settings on? If you want to be able to continue to work on it, I would think you would be forced to render it?

It would definitely be the bomb if you could just "render a clip" destructively with a "permanant freeze" that way it wouldn't have to be done in real time.
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:03 pm

drez wrote: To me, this reads as you can launch the clips, copy them around and whatnot, but you can't "mess" with them. They don't appear to be treated as rendered audio clips, they are special "frozen clips". I say this because it specifically states the frozen clips "retain their real-time launch capabilities". I would think that they would say more about it if you could then jack with the clips after they were frozen.

I mean, what's the advantage of having a frozen clip that you can't go back to and change the settings on? If you want to be able to continue to work on it, I would think you would be forced to render it?

It would definitely be the bomb if you could just "render a clip" destructively with a "permanant freeze" that way it wouldn't have to be done in real time.
i think all they are trying to do is explain to people that (for instance)... "hey if you are running for instance Reaktor, and Amplitube .. and you freeze your clip, once its frozen you can't change any of the Reaktor and Amplitube parameters without un-freezing the clip. now you can still adjust all the launch properties, that means Launc Mode, Launch Quantization, and Follow actions"

its tough to say if we'll be able to go in and tweak the clip envelopes with parameters NOT associated with the original plug-ins used.

me thinks the way they can do this is in order to use a Frozen Clip like a regular old resampled sound file - move it to a seperate audio channel.

with the original frozen clips, you can go back and DE-Freeze, and adjust your midi notes and parameters, etc.

but really - let's just wait and see what the Beta says ;)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:12 pm

Curious - can you still use the volume fader on the track / panning / sends

that would be cool - have all the juice you want on the track but still play it live right?

tat would awesome...

A
Ableton | Elektron

Music

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:15 pm

100% agree, Adamjay.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:02 am

thank you adam, that was exactly my point.

and now -

*wait*

korn666

Post by korn666 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:49 am

You could transfer a project from your big studio PC to an older PowerBook and keep working - even though the laptop is not powerful enough to handle all the virtual instruments and effects in the project, and even though the project is using plug-ins that are unavailable on the laptop!
so i think the freezed clips are wavs cause they stated that this works even when the plug ins are unavailable on the laptop

so freeze but no unfreeze i think:)

But even i were happy with these feature if it works correctly ...hoping that the freezed clips loops correctly even with delay fx....

[/quote]

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:14 am

korn666 wrote:so i think the freezed clips are wavs cause they stated that this works even when the plug ins are unavailable on the laptop

my thoughts exactly

*grabs bear ... waits*
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

helixx

Post by helixx » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:27 pm

this freeze feature sounds like the same one as on apps like logic7 and garageband2. you click the freeze button and it renders the track to memory as a temp wav/aif file. you can't change anything about the track unless you unfreeze it. re-freezing then re-renders the track. this is a performance enhancement for those using a lot of tracks or a few tracks with a lot of effects.

i have no idea if you'll be able to mess with the clip envelopes on these frozen files as if they were waves however. that'd be kinda neat.