saving drums for use in later projects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mutator

saving drums for use in later projects

Post by mutator » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:47 pm

What the best way to save the drums out of a project for later use in other projects? Like, i have a folder track with a drum rack inside and 3+ breaks I wanna start pulling out of projects and saving them somehow to use when I want in later projects.

Angstrom

Re: saving drums for use in later projects

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:58 pm

I have a folder called "clips" in my songs folder, it has subfolders for drums, bass, etc. when I make a nice drum groove I just drag it into clips/drums. Then I can access it later, even preview it. Very useful.

I've done it that way since about L7 and so built up a nice collection. It doesn't really integrate with the L9 browser, but what does?

BTW . Don't bother trying to drag onto Live 9's "clips" main browser entry, it does nothing. It's a sort of deadzone for ableton partners only.

mutator

Post by mutator » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 pm

So I can just drag the drum bus into whatever named folder within my library I want hu? That's pretty cool, i guess you could even put an entire songs tracks in a group track and drag them into a folder in the library and essentially drop a whole track into whatever project you want down the road even.

gp23

Post by gp23 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 am

What I tend to do is simply navigate the folder where I save my projects, expand the saved .als files and drag out the parts I want. It'd be nice to get more organised and create a specific folder for re-usable stuff, but this works in a quick and dirty fashion.

This is in L8 btw, don't know if this applies to 9's browser.