Ableton and Korg

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crystalmsc

Ableton and Korg

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

Ableton and Korg products are my main axe for producing and performing live since a long time. Great to see that both are working closer together now. Most of their new equipment and apps such as Korg Gadget, Electribe, Electribe sampler, iKaossilator down to the new miniKP2S are able to export to Live. With a free license of Live Lite included on some of the products. I'm really excited to see the future of their collaboration. I now see the new Electribe is almost like a portable hardware version of Ableton Live/Push. Used to dream that something as powerful as the Kronos might have such an export feature or further integration with Live. Hell, even a new workstation with Ableton Live style sequencer. Seems like the possibilities are open wider now. It happened that I organize the Ableton and Korg user group in my country. I strongly sensed that the two companies will join forces one day, just like Yamaha with Steinberg and Roland with Cakewalk. Specially since Korg is moving in a very exciting path, with more live oriented and analog gear coming, such as the Arp Odyssey. May be the time is now!
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

samsteeno

Re: Ableton and Korg

Post by samsteeno » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Yes! Long time KORG fan, also love Live and its workflow. I am really excited by KORG's analog offerings!
I own a Kronos 88X, MS20 Mini, all the Volca and Monotron boxes, +more, And I am really looking forward to the KORG ARP Odyssey!

I see a bright future ahead. :D
The Finn wrote:Believe you me, after the coming apocalypse, when we are all reduced to huddling around little fires in the smoking ruins, your Ableton Push is not going to make any sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/sam-steensen

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I already pre-ordered the new Electribe, can't wait myself :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Yeah, hard to tell on those. I'm happy it's metal casing, just hope the pots feel decent too. The original EMX's weren't amazing, but better than I expected.

The lights under the new ones look interesting, wonder if that's just for showing you the stored value for each pot (ie it lights up when the knob position is at the stored valued for that reset). Or maybe it shows automation as well, perhaps something cool like that?

Sure wish they'd post the manual :)

I just talked to Novamusik about my preorder and they said Korg hasn't released an official shipping date yet, so everything right now is rumors. Hoping it's sooner rather than later!

login

Post by login » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:15 pm

By the way, anyone know how Gadget exports to live? does the als file comes with audio and MIDI?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Audio, see my other thread for screenshots.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:50 am

Can't wait for the manual too, specially to confirm about the iFX for each part. Hopefully it can also double as an audio interface and controller for Ableton. I love the idea of the product, which is some kind of a portable version of Ableton Live and Push. The color scheme and minimalist labeling are almost like the Push, down to the blue/red color of the pad and the pad's shape. Contrast to the crowded older electribe's layout and labeling, it's now very Zen looking. While the layout of the user interface is almost like the DSI Tempest (reversed on the upper side, buat similar on the lower side), which is going to look nice with a wooden panel as well.

jack johnson wrote:The Electribe is looking' nice. But the knobs look oddly tall.
the knobs are reminding me of the Electron's instruments

Last edited by crystalmsc on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 am

jack johnson wrote:Wow those knobs are similar as far as height. There must be a good reason why, maybe for a performance stand point.
Supposed to be some good reasons for that. similar to the layout of the drum pads. I used to prefer the MPC style drum pads or TR style buttons placement. Until I watched these videos by Roger Linn:
http://youtu.be/WRD8f5BJSsw
http://youtu.be/bAZfJ3xH74I
but as a right hand user, I like the screen placement on the upper left as in the new electribe better. So my hands won't cover the screen while turning the knobs. I also prefer to use my left hand for simpler task like the transport control and playing the x-y pad.

Just can't imagine if Korg ever release a Tempest class groovebox, based on MS-20 engine with Ableton integration.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 am

Tarekith wrote:The original EMX's weren't amazing, but better than I expected.
These are some of the things that I really like from the new Electribe:
1. It's a very mature product, based on more than 10 years of proven technology
2. The King Korg based analog engine and some of it's classic filter emulation.
Plus filter, compression and overdrive for each part. I remember that the old EMX-1 didn't have filter for the drum parts. It's solved now. But I still wish for more oscillator from the EMX-1, OS 2 may be :)
3. The kaoss pad based effect and the X - Y Pad, Gate Arp and Touch Scale.
(Specially since I'm a long time user of the Kaoss line)
4. Clear, minimalist interface and Zen looking design like the miniature of Push. The size is not too big or too small and can be powered using battery.
5. Recycling technology based on popular demand such as the drum pads from Taktile series and Pattern Jump from the Volca Beat, kaoss pad, motion sequence, King Korg Based engine. Wish it can be used with the NanoKontrol.
6. Integration with Ableton (Going to be cooler if it's double as an audio interface and controller for Ableton)
7. Reasonable price

Hopefully the actual product is going to be as good as it looks on paper.
samsteeno wrote:Yes! Long time KORG fan, also love Live and its workflow. I am really excited by KORG's analog offerings!
I own a Kronos 88X, MS20 Mini, all the Volca and Monotron boxes, +more, And I am really looking forward to the KORG ARP Odyssey!

I see a bright future ahead. :D
Me too, I own most of their current instruments and a bunch of collection from the back catalogue.

The Arp line is truly a great addition, and hopefully the Arp 2600 is on their pipeline as well. It's my teenage dream.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:58 am

crystalmsc wrote: 6. Integration with Ableton (Going to be cooler if it's double as an audio interface and controller for Ableton)
I would also hope for it to be a controller too, but the encoders are not endless, right?!
Also it would have been nice, if they had managed to make that two rows of 8 encoders instead of 7 each.
That would flow so much smoother with Lives functionality.

I wonder why it seems so hard to make midi import/export from these devices possible.
It would also be cool if you could sequence midi using the Electribe as a controller in a Live clip, while that Live clip at the same time controls the Electribe hardware via external instrument. 8)
7. Reasonable price
Yeah that struck me too, it's almost half of that OP1 gizmo, meaning you could buy both Electribes (still quite portable) for almost the same price.

What's great is that you can run it from batteries. Can the Elektron gear be run without a socket connection?!

Does Korg usually also sell cases for their instruments?! This looks like you would want to throw it into a back pack quite often to take it out and about. So these tall encoders need protection!

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:13 am

TomViolenz wrote:I would also hope for it to be a controller too, but the encoders are not endless, right?!
Tarekith wrote:The lights under the new ones look interesting, wonder if that's just for showing you the stored value for each pot (ie it lights up when the knob position is at the stored valued for that reset). Or maybe it shows automation as well, perhaps something cool like that?
Still have to wait for the actual unit to make sure about it. But I prefer endless knobs for controller function and the lights going to be more useful. Hopefully it will support automation as well.
TomViolenz wrote:Also it would have been nice, if they had managed to make that two rows of 8 encoders instead of 7 each.
That would flow so much smoother with Lives functionality.

I wonder why it seems so hard to make midi import/export from these devices possible.
It would also be cool if you could sequence midi using the Electribe as a controller in a Live clip, while that Live clip at the same time controls the Electribe hardware via external instrument. 8)
8 encoders going to make it even more like the portable version of Push. 2 rows of 8 knobs with similar size is going to work better as a controller, but will require more space as well. I wonder that it's going to be more flexible if they use 1 longer LCD (like Push) with two rows of 8 knobs, which will work nice for analog style sequencing as well. Will be great for the Electribe Sampler waveform's editing.

midi support is very possible via os update. yes, it would be cool if the electribe could have a bi-directional communication with Live. should be a must have function as a part of the integration with Ableton.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:40 am

TomViolenz wrote:Yeah that struck me too, it's almost half of that OP1 gizmo, meaning you could buy both Electribes (still quite portable) for almost the same price.

What's great is that you can run it from batteries. Can the Elektron gear be run without a socket connection?!

Does Korg usually also sell cases for their instruments?! This looks like you would want to throw it into a back pack quite often to take it out and about. So these tall encoders need protection!
Yes, specially a pair means more flexible drum section + synth part as well, since both have an analog engine. I don't think that Elektron gear can be powered using battery. That's one of the important factor of a portable gear. I wish they will release another version with Lithium battery, which is a very cheap technology right now and in the long run going to be more effective than replacing batteries.

Talking about cases, I'm in the mood for something like this for the Volca http://youtu.be/n6TlarFdVr8 Since they have plan to release more volca, proper casing would be a natural request. May be a proper keyboard to hold a volca or two like the old Novation MM10 for the Yamaha QY10. the same with the electribe, a casing with lithium battery perhaps.

I keep an eye on these right now:
http://www.maindragmusic.com/blog/old-dog-new-tricks
http://youtu.be/x2J_1HsAPDU

http://kvgear.com/product-details

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Interesting idea using a Pedaltrain board for the Volcas, never would have thought of that and I used to own one!

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Tarekith wrote:Interesting idea using a Pedaltrain board for the Volcas, never would have thought of that and I used to own one!
it's an effective solution to pair the volca with other gears with different size. This set up from the Korg forum is even more impressive, made just by using several IKEA products. curious to see something official from Korg for that kind of setup.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 am