Windows 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Blooms4x

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Blooms4x » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:41 am

dbfs wrote:Have you by chance tried the driver directly from Realtek?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true

Kinda confusing website, but If you scroll down almost the bottom you will find the section for the RTL8188CE. Its the 4th up from the bottom.

:D much better after setting the drivers from your link. Thanks. I wonder how can I get the bars lower (to level green)? I may still downgrade to 7 though for other reasons.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Sweet! Well, you aren't in the red and spiking like crazy anymore, so that's good.

I'm not sure how mission critical it is to be running in the green. As long as you're out of the red, I would put it through the ringer a bit and test it out and see how it goes. Maybe load the biggest session you have and see how it reacts.

Glad to see you making some progress with it. I know its super frustrating.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:58 pm

That's awesome dude.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:59 am

Blooms4x wrote:

Kinda confusing website, but If you scroll down almost the bottom you will find the section for the RTL8188CE. Its the 4th up from the bottom.

:D much better after setting the drivers from your link. Thanks. I wonder how can I get the bars lower (to level green)? I may still downgrade to 7 though for other reasons.
Honestly, after thinking about this for a little bit. I think that might have fixed it for you since you aren't spiking at all and your latency looks solid and steady. That DPC latency meter isn't meant for windows 8 as stated before, so I think what's happening is its only partially working in that it's showing you the spikes, but the actual reading is much higher then it truly is. So, I wouldn't really pay attention to the color as long as your running with out glitches and pops and crackles and whatnot and you have no spikes.

You can try this as well if you really want take it one step further. It seems to helps some people -

Enter this command in an elevated command prompt, reboot, and see if it helps:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
What it will do is stop Windows from coalescing CPU clock ticks when idle, a feature added in Windows 8 for power savings.

Also, make sure you aren't on the "Balanced" power plan as that will throttle your cpu up and down during playback and cause glitching in the audio as well. Just throwing that out there.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:36 pm

^ good advice there.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Interesting Im seeing similar on win8.1 here. I dont remember if Ive tested since I went to win8 at all though since I dont have any issues but I do remember being mostly green on win7. I also just went and undid any recent hw changes to check, unplugged wifi, unplugged scarlett 2i4 (which i just swapped my ak1 for), disabled onboard audio in the bios. So it doesnt seem to be any hardware causing that 1000us that I can tell

-edit

Also after googling around, try using latencymon instead of dpclat, http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

This one actually seems accurate on 8.1, Im seeing ~100us on average with a high of 373 and it will tell you exactly what driver caused the highest spike (in my case gfx drivers). Seems much more useful then the normal dpc checker everyone uses

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:15 am

Props to you mmorgan, I tried your idea to auto-hide the Taskbar to Win7's top (a choice I originally disregarded due to anticipated menu bar meltdowns) and this does reduce cursor interference tenfold. (Until now I had it on the right.)

Wowie, this taskbar thing might actually be totally un-annoying if it could launch from a corner or a leftright click instead. Maybe that's what they attempted with Metro before they messed the idea up, by going way overboard with it.

Blooms4x

Post by Blooms4x » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:25 pm

It all started again... so its time for Win 7.

dbfs wrote:
Blooms4x wrote:

Honestly, after thinking about this for a little bit. I think that might have fixed it for you since you aren't spiking at all and your latency looks solid and steady. That DPC latency meter isn't meant for windows 8 as stated before, so I think what's happening is its only partially working in that it's showing you the spikes, but the actual reading is much higher then it truly is. So, I wouldn't really pay attention to the color as long as your running with out glitches and pops and crackles and whatnot and you have no spikes.

You can try this as well if you really want take it one step further. It seems to helps some people -

Enter this command in an elevated command prompt, reboot, and see if it helps:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
What it will do is stop Windows from coalescing CPU clock ticks when idle, a feature added in Windows 8 for power savings.

Also, make sure you aren't on the "Balanced" power plan as that will throttle your cpu up and down during playback and cause glitching in the audio as well. Just throwing that out there.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:24 am

Blooms4x wrote:It all started again... so its time for Win 7.
try the one i posted before doing that, since it will tell you exactly which driver is causing the issue, at least then you'll have an idea of what to start looking at if/when this happens

Norman2014

Post by Norman2014 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:50 pm

basically i am a new user on Windows 8. And i do not know how can i get help from here. I have listen from my friend that if i use windows 8 then i will use more than 1 windows. I mean when i will use windows 8 then after few minute i will use windows 7 after switch of in any one. I do not know is it possible or not..
Happy to meet up with everybody on this site! Join up to my blog about resume writing services and discover the best one!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:57 pm

:| what?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 pm

The sig makes it :lol:
ImageImage

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 pm

:lol: i didn't even notice the sig... but now that i have 8O can you imagine this fucker writing your resume?

"discover the best one!"

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 am

Windows 8 was so bad, it made me stop caring what MS is up to altogether. Earlier on, ZDNet emailed me a teaser of a blurb about Windows 9 preview, and my first thought was "reading the flames might be amusing..." followed by, "...but do I even care about Windows 9? No".

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it isn't.