Two tracks active, bug....?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Regrind

Two tracks active, bug....?

Post by Regrind » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 pm

I found a bug and would like to bring it to attention or be told that I'm dumb and not doing things properly. Either will suffice. lol
When I'm working on a new project I'll Save As, but rarely close Abes. I just hammer away and put the MBP in sleep mode when it's time for a break. On quite a few occasions I will wake up the MBP and say, "this could really use a Rhodes type sound", drag Operator or Massive to a new midi track, but that action will not arm that new track. Instead it's neighbor will remain armed. When I click to arm the new track, it arms both it and the neighbor. When I click the arm button on the neighbor track, it doesn't unarm nor does the arm button go out, rather it goes a little dim, almost pink. The end result is as expected, both tracks playing when notes are triggered.
The fix is to just save and close out/restart Abes. No worries as it only takes about 6 seconds on this beast.
I was just wondering if there were something I was missing or it's just the curse of being a lazy bastard. Ha.
Mainly just posting this in the event that it is a bug that needs to be addressed.
Thanks.

J
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

yur2die4

Re: Two tracks active, bug....?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 am

Are you using Push or LP95 at all? In those cases the 'highlighted track' becomes soft-armed, while any intentionally armed tracks remain armed.

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 am

I have LP95 installed, but wasn't using it on this project. It's 5:43 am, time for bed, but I'll try that tomorrow to rule it out.
I'm not exactly certified trainer level yet, but I'd consider myself an advanced user. I dug around the preferences for something to chew on but came up empty handed.
Not that big an issue, but an inconvenient hiccup when I come back from a break and have a great idea only to have to restart so both tracks aren't playing at the same time.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:05 am

Yeah, since Live 9, they have implemented a softer arming function to use in conjunction with Push.

In order to make any track which is selected playable via Push, the Ableton guys made a weird kind of half-arming concept. Essentially, you might have one channel armed normally, but any channel that ends up higughted will Also be armed, only not 'as much'.

The LP95 basically accesses the concepts made for Push, and lets the Launchpad do it instead. So when the LP is especially in keyboard mode, it will arm whichever channel is highlighted.

It is convenient in some ways, but you could imagine that for live play using multiple controllers, it really throws a big wonky wrench into the methods you might have become comfortable with in previous versions of Live.

Personally, I wish there were more graceful ways to manage this.