Studio Gear (Monitors, headphones...)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
meandr.mustard

Studio Gear (Monitors, headphones...)

Post by meandr.mustard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:37 pm

So, if money was no issue...

Which Studio Monitors (Adams, Genelec, etc..), headphones (Sennheisser, Beyerdynamic) and/or other pieces of gear would you get for your studio?

login

Re: Studio Gear (Monitors, headphones...)

Post by login » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:45 pm

I have Yams hs80 now and I would get some synths before monitors, but when the time comes if money is no object maybe some Focals or Event Opals.

And proper acoustic treatment for the studio (this will be first I think).

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Sennheiser's Orpheus headphones (you did say if money was no issue ;)

I don't know what the greatest monitors are. I'd like Yamaha NS10s though. They say if stuff can sound good on those, it'll sound great anywhere. Otherwise those behemoths that Tarekith has.

New top spec PC with all the bells and whistles.

A Moog Voyager XL (drool etc).

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 am

tedlogan wrote:New top spec PC with all the bells and whistles.
Exactly that, and a full wall of modular goodness. I'm quiet happy with my current headphone monitors, the AIAIAI Young Guru edition and ATH-M50 LE. Both are not perfect, but get the jobs done and comfortable to my ear. I've been a long time user of the old and trusty ATH-M40fs, more that 10 years. The same with the speaker, ESI UniK05 with ribbon twitter. It's no Adam's or other expensive systems, but I'm happy with the sound for my personal needs. But when money is no object, I would love to have a bigger room with a decent 2.1 monitor system with great interior and air purifier/conditioner to minimize dust.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 am

I like the NS10 suggestion. They don't grow on trees, but if you can find a decent set, they are good to have if you are serious.

I'm so plain-jane....I like my KRK8400's and wouldn't spend a lot more for cans. The are comfy, don't hype the bass (so, you can actually hear the bass) and give a rather accurate representation of what is going through your equipment. The point being that you have a tendency to add/subtract eq/etc fairly well for cans.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:08 am

Hey I have a set of the KRK8400s.

I used AKGK240s for over 10 years and the inner sponge started to crumble so I bought a new set. I ended up fixing them up simply because I trained myself so much with them and just prefer their sound and headband (cannot even feel they are on). I do like the KRKs but not as much as my old AKGs.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:17 am

Akg's are semi/open..right? It's like my senn 580's.....to me NOTHING sounds better, but I can't play guitar/bass with them because it's too annoying and I'm too lazy to keep switching them :P

So I almost always just use the 8400's.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 am

Yeah they are semi so I guess over the years I have just got use to the sound and I hadn't even considered a closed pair would be much different.
What IS good tho is having 2 sets to compare notes as it's not always a given that just because they sound good the mixing is good.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 am

I agree with that. Good for reality checks.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 am

tedlogan wrote:Sennheiser's Orpheus headphones (you did say if money was no issue ;)
I know you have the 600s (which would be my choice for what to do with no limit for money, I guess I'm more easily satisfied 8) ),
In what way do you expect the Orpheus ones to be better regarding monitoring? I know they sound extremely nice and are the high end headphones of choice for much of jazz and classical music, but as I understood it that's because of a nice coloration of the sounds in the higher registers, so exactly what one wouldn't want in monitor headphones. Right?!
Did you hear differently about these headphones?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am

crystalmsc wrote: But when money is no object, I would love to have a bigger room with a decent 2.1 monitor system
Oh my, yeah if money would be really no issue at all, I would go with a set up from these guys:
http://4dsound.net/

I heard one of their systems with a 16x3 speaker system at Atonal in Berlin this year and the detail in space and frequency is freaking unrivaled.

I hear they sell 4x3 speaker set ups for studios (and rich individuals ;-)) 8)

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 am

Adam F7 & AKG K701 user here.

I really love the speakers which were a huge upgrade to the 5" Alesis monitors i used before, really good lowend, extremly transparent highs.

The headphones are open-back and super transparent, but lack a bit of punch when they are not driven by a proper amp.

The headphone out on my Ultralite is just loud enough for the AKG´s, but i bought a littledot micro+ preamp and this imporved the sound and performance quite a bit.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Sennheiser's Orpheus headphones (you did say if money was no issue ;)
I know you have the 600s (which would be my choice for what to do with no limit for money, I guess I'm more easily satisfied 8) ),
In what way do you expect the Orpheus ones to be better regarding monitoring? I know they sound extremely nice and are the high end headphones of choice for much of jazz and classical music, but as I understood it that's because of a nice coloration of the sounds in the higher registers, so exactly what one wouldn't want in monitor headphones. Right?!
Did you hear differently about these headphones?
I do not expect Orpheus to be suited to monitoring. I would just, with unlimited money, have them in the corner as the whole system looks beautiful, and to listen to final mixes/masters for pure pleasure.

Btw, I'm more than pleased with the HD600s - I never take them for granted and enjoy every second of listening through them. It always kinds sucks to go back to a normal stereo (well my mediocre one at least).
My current monitor speakers, Tannoy Reveal 6Ds, are faulty :(

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

tedlogan wrote:
Btw, I'm more than pleased with the HD600s - I never take them for granted and enjoy every second of listening through them.
I always use my monitors (KRK 5s) only for the very last step, making sure that the lows of the bass are not hyped too much, which I tend to do a little with my HD 530IIs, which are more than 20 years old and the predecessor to what became the HD600s. (And yet I was able to buy a new cable and new sponge and ear polsters for it last year! For a 20 year old product!! Go Sennheiser!!! 8) )
Beyond that the KRK 5s just don't sound nice enough to work with them for extended periods. (But they were cheap and do the job of getting the frequencies in balance)
But I love working on my 530s :-)

I always wondered what it would sound like running them through a proper headphone amp, as you do if I remember correctly. Do you usually have to correct your low end when going from the 600s to the monitor speakers or bigger systems?!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 pm

I just run them from the Pod HD (which is also the audio interface), because it's designed to drive high-impedance phones. If I dial the Master volume more than 50% I will destroy my ears.

About the bass - it depends. As a general rule with these - if it sounds just a little more bassy than usual on the 600s, there's probably too much bass, judging by past experience. They're very close to neutral (I don't think true flat phones exist, correct me if I'm wrong)from 100hz to 4khz, yet don't sound harsh or anything. There is a fall-off starting at around 100Hz, yet you can still hear subs pretty well. Though you can be sure your subs will be overpowering if they're prominent on the 600s.

I do sometimes have to correct the bass levels yes, but through not much fault of the HD600s I think. Firstly, "never mix on headphones" as they say, although it's great for A/Bing and general use/late night use, and secondly, I currently judge bass through consumer amplifier and speakers (Cambridge Audio azur 340A and TDL nucleus 2 speakers), which is madness, but my one Tannoy monitor only produces static. Gotta get this fixed ASAP. Thirdly, room is not tuned/treated, and finally, I listen to music/mixes I like to compare my mix to. Normally I then want to give up and sell everything (but not always).
Last edited by tedlogan on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.