PULL 2.0 iPad Control of Ableton Devices, VST's, Max Devices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xmonsta

Re: PULL 2.0 - Control VST's and Max Devices with your iPad

Post by xmonsta » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Zubben wrote:Does it work fine with Live 9.1.5?

Also, do you plan on making an installer? Installing PULL right now is a bit painful :)

But thanks for the amazing template, very useful!
Yes, works fine with 9.1.5 or any version of Ableton Live 9. We had some initial hiccups that caused some crashing on the newest versions of Live 9.1.4, but these are ironed out now. No crashes.

We're currently looking at different options for an installer. It's quite difficult with this software, because it requires a number of pieces of software to work together to get this result (Live, Max, Python, Lemur). The installer will have to interact with all these different types of software, on multiple systems etc.

Our support is very responsive. Generally we respond to queries within the hour. So far, every single user has been able to set this up. We've even done skype calls with some users, who have various configuration problems.

Hope this helps

X
http://www.xmonsta.com Music devices and controllers for Ableton Live

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:07 am

I got it working but on 9.1.4 on exit, live crashes every time. Any tips?

Using pull 2.0
Max for live 5.1
Newest lemur version as of today
Live 9.1.4 on 32 bit version
Win 7 64 bit

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:58 am

Hi Mercury, PULL requires Max For Live latest version (6.1.8 ) - Try installing this first

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorry I meant 6.1 for max for live. Using iphone and pressed wrong button. On ableton live's home page, i don't see a max for live 6.1.8 - the latest is 6.1

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 am

Hi Xmonsta.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one, but i'd like more information on how the custom VST/Max4Live templates work.

I'm currently using multiple lemur scripts including https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/512/

My question is: Can i use existing scripts or do i have to make my own scripts direct in lemur?

Is there a way to port templates over into the Pull ecosystem?

Thanks

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:08 am

Dchild wrote:Hi Xmonsta.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one, but i'd like more information on how the custom VST/Max4Live templates work.

I'm currently using multiple lemur scripts including https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/512/

My question is: Can i use existing scripts or do i have to make my own scripts direct in lemur?

Is there a way to port templates over into the Pull ecosystem?

Thanks
Hi Dchild,

You can use existing Lemur templates and just copy PULL in as a "tab" into the template. PULL then works in send template mode (it sends templates to the PULL tab on the Lemur).

Template creation is pretty simple. There is a tutorial on this, however, there are over 60 templates included and pretty much every type of control you may want to create has been created before, so you can just copy functionality over from existing templates.

Interested to find out which templates are you interested in porting over into PULL?

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:14 am

mercury007 wrote:Sorry I meant 6.1 for max for live. Using iphone and pressed wrong button. On ableton live's home page, i don't see a max for live 6.1.8 - the latest is 6.1
Hi Mercury,

Yes, you should be able to see the version of Max by opening the MaxRT.exe or MaxRT.app. Inside here click help and about and you will be given the version of Max. Ableton should show the exact version (6.1.x) in the download area, or you can get Max from the Cycling74 site.

If you want to come through to support we might be able to help you better there. support@xmonsta.com

It would be helpful if you can zip up your _MxDCore directory and send it to us to diagnose.

Also if you can send us your ".log" file this might help. You can find that here. Try to cause the crash just before you send the log file, so the error is right at the bottom of the file.

Windows XP
\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\Log.txt

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\Log.txt

Mac OS X
/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/Log.txt

Cheers

x

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 am

Is it possible to review the tutorial material before purchasing? Has the manual been updated to version 2.

Do user templates work in the same way as the ableton ones? i.e. moving around a live set (Pull updates if i'm using Fabfilter Pro Q)

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 am

Dchild wrote:Is it possible to review the tutorial material before purchasing? Has the manual been updated to version 2.

Do user templates work in the same way as the ableton ones? i.e. moving around a live set (Pull updates if i'm using Fabfilter Pro Q)
We've updated the manual download to 2.0 http://www.xmonsta.com/product/pull-ipa ... ce-editor/

With Live's native devices you have two choices:

1) Switch mode - loads all 60 native live device templates at once, then flicks/switches through them like a book (instant switching)
2) Send mode - loads each device template on the Lemur individually (a tiny bit slower, because templates are sent over wifi)

VST's and Max devices will always use Send mode (regardless of whether send mode is switched on the device), because we have used all of Lemurs memory up with Lives native devices.

You'll want to use Send mode for Live's native devices when you want to use PULL at the same time as another Lemur template, such as SHOVE, or LIVECONTROL 2. This way PULL takes up very little memory on the Lemur and you have enough left for your other templates.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

X

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm about to "Pull" the trigger (sorry :p ). I don't see a list of 3rd party VST's templates yet. I see your Max Filter and Camel Crusher, do you have any others completed yet?
Also is it pretty easy to make your own templates to include with Pull?

*edit
It's worth it to me in its current state so I went ahead and bought it anyway. I'll probably get to making some templates for a couple of synths and FX that I own just don't want to spend time re-creating something that may have already been made or is close to completion.

now we just need a 12-13 inch iPad (come on Apple :p )
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey Airyck,

Yes, that's right PULL just comes with the 60 or so native templates and 2 example VST/Max templates to get you started.

We are creating some templates and these will be available in the shop. They will be very cheap, but will depend on the size of the VST (e.g. Some VST's have 1000's of parameters).

Let us know which ones you're interested in and we can tell you whether they're in the works and how long they might take to release.

It's pretty straight forward to create your own templates in PULL. It's just Lemur editing, there's no Max programming needed. There is a manual provided in the install, but some users would prefer to save the time and have them pre-built.

12-13 inch iPad?? Lemur just released on Android - so pretty sure this is already possible. There is also the Nabi Tablet (20-24 inch) :) :) :)

https://www.nabitablet.com/nabi-big-tab

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I didn't know there were such large android devices, I though 10 inch was as big as it got. That Nabi tablet looks good and if it's made for kids then it's probably pretty durable (lets face it music stuff is like our big kid toys :P ). I may have to pick one of those up if your Pull template really sticks with me.

Good to know about the devices. I guess I'm looking for any of the NI stuff (I have Komplete Ultimate 9). Most the FX and synths from that package including Reaktor stuff like Monark and Razor. All of the FX like the classic reverbs, Solid Series, Passive Series, FX etc...

Fabfilter FX like Volcano and Timeless would be great, as well as Twin.

Fxpansion DCAM Synth squad, I'm sure this one would be popular with a lot of people.

Synthmaster 2

and Z3ta+ 2 if possible.

Are these based on the 128 controls available to Live or can you map more than that using your Pull device?

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:31 am

Probably best to hold off on the larger tablets for now until Lemur Android has had time to work out any kinks. I believe there is only one version of a Nexus that Liine offer compatibility for at the moment (im guessing that what they can guarantee).

Yes, we are about to release some new software, which can be used in conjunction with PULL, which will allow you to control all of the available parameters on a VST. This will be launched in the next few weeks.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:25 pm

xmonsta wrote:
Yes, we are about to release some new software, which can be used in conjunction with PULL, which will allow you to control all of the available parameters on a VST. This will be launched in the next few weeks.
This sounds very exciting, is this going to be an inclusion with Pull or a separate product? Either way is fine, just curious.

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Airyck wrote:
This sounds very exciting, is this going to be an inclusion with Pull or a separate product? Either way is fine, just curious.
Yes, this is going to be included with PULL and also a separate product. It will be great to use with PUSH, but also any controller because it will allow you to access more than 128 parameters of VST's, and all the parameters will be mapped automatically for you. No racks for saving presets etc :)

It will take PULL a whole new level and also will be a game-changer for people who use push and other controllers.
Last edited by xmonsta on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.