Live Asynchronous Looping?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LesMizzell

Live Asynchronous Looping?

Post by LesMizzell » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:26 am

Is it possible to do, on the fly, asynchronous loops of random lengths?

I'm still working out a rig for live performances, and though I sorta loath to use a laptop, it's looking like that's unavoidable.

Hardware wise, the Boomerang III seems to cover what I want - it will let you record/payback un-synced loops not locked to any specific length or tempo, plus there's an optional trigger to slowly slowly fade a loop out whenever you feel like bringing a new one in.

Has anybody tried same workflow in Live?

I completely understand how to build a performance using synced loops in Live - but that's not what I'm looking for.

yur2die4

Re: Live Asynchronous Looping?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:45 am

Either turn off Global Quantization or use the Looper effect.

subunit23

Re: Live Asynchronous Looping?

Post by subunit23 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 am

totally do-able with a few instances of the Looper effect. for true asynchronous-ness you'll need to modify a few settings: the Record menu needs to be set to 'x bars', the Quantization, Song control and Tempo control menus set to 'none'. you'll need some clever signal routing and MIDI mapping in Live to emulate a Boomerang but it's not too difficult to do. also map the Feedback knob to your controller of choice so you can fade out loops slowly. there's a little known function that allows you to insert FX within the path of a Looper and it allows you for instance to add some subtle tape degradation or filtering effect each time a loop repeats, but it can be anything really. for more info, have a look at section 22.21.1 (Feedback Routing) in the Live 9 manual, it's explained quite well. good luck:)