Free step sequencer for APC40 MkII - out now!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
willrjmarshall

Free step sequencer for APC40 MkII - out now!

Post by willrjmarshall » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:25 pm

I've been putting together a step sequencer script for the APC40 MkII. Based on the Push step sequencer and optimized for live performance, this script works alongside the APC's factory functionality, adding a much-needed dose of live programability and drum sauce to the APC.

I'm really happy with how this turned out: the APC is similar enough to the Push that I could port all the same behavior over, including the colors, note editing and LED feedback.

This is a free download (with optional donation), so go nuts! You can get it from http://willmarshall.me/collections/fron ... csequencer

robleighton22

Re: Free step sequencer for APC40 MkII - out now!

Post by robleighton22 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 pm

hi,

have been using this for a few hours and it seems good, but i am not getting the running lights in the 16 sequencer clips dedicated to adding notes/steps. also, how do i mute drums in a rack, i.e. is there a mute mode? also any plans do a melodic sequencer?

willrjmarshall

Post by willrjmarshall » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey man,

Your MIDI settings have to be right for the stepper to work. Occasionally it'll be buggy and rebooting Ableton is necessary. Ableton will also only support this for a single controller; if you have a Push plugged in, for example, only the first-connected device will have feedback.

There's no button assigned for mute. If I can find a sensible and easily memorable button I'll assign it next version: I dislike burying functionality in grids of undifferentiated buttons.

Melodic sequencer is on the cards. It's a trickier problem to tackle and I'm working on an EP right now, though: so no real sense of "when" that'll happen.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 pm

ok cool. have a Launchpad as well, so that could be part of the problem. will check - think a mute section is fairly essential. Could possibly holding shift + the instrument clip button on the apc be used to mute (with a red colour showing what has been muted)? This is not so dissimilar to the delete functionality you have, but in a live setup you are more likely to use the mutes than delete drums (in my opinion anyway). good work so far on this - look fwd to a harmonic step sequencer on the mk2!