Rant: Why I hate Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ansolas

Re: Rant: Why I hate Live

Post by ansolas » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:10 am

chrk wrote:
Isn't eyeknow talking about clip-/track envelopes?
I dont know I lost the overview, if so never mind

royston

Post by royston » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 pm

yes it was about automation envelopes, and me and some other people actually do mind.
If you never use automation, this is no problem for you, but if you ever wanted to have exact values for pitchbend or a vst where values of +-10 of 1000 change sound drastically, you'll miss a way to type in exact values.
there are also some other posts about this topic, eg here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208395&p=1636747#p1636747
I really love Able, this is just one of the few weak points.
Would love to see this solved in Live 10. :D

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:07 pm

royston wrote:yes it was about automation envelopes, and me and some other people actually do mind.
If you never use automation, this is no problem for you, but if you ever wanted to have exact values for pitchbend or a vst where values of +-10 of 1000 change sound drastically, you'll miss a way to type in exact values.
there are also some other posts about this topic, eg here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208395&p=1636747#p1636747
I really love Able, this is just one of the few weak points.
Would love to see this solved in Live 10. :D
I just use Studio One

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:09 pm

ansolas wrote:I just use Studio One
Which for me crashes on start up now.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:18 pm

locojohn wrote:

Andrejs
Have you tried to remove all Plugins ?

Works like a charm here under windows 8.1,
Under OSX it is less stable (tried it on a iMac and MBP)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:53 am

The only real issue I have with live (other than obvious feature requests) is "bias desktop" which works fine in other host.

I'm sure it will get resolved.

Till then I recommend the beta's as I use them 99% of the time w/o and serious issue.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:12 pm

locojohn wrote:

Andrejs
Live 9 does that more me a lot. It recovers but I think it's the browser that creates this delay and Live interprets it as a crash. Live is the slowest loading DAW at start up. I bet it's due to the browser.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:53 am

I find the premise for this thread a bit odd. The title is "Why I hate Live". If this is anything but clickbait, it can't be true at all. You list a bunch of things you're unhappy with in Live (a lot of which are based on assumption), conclude that Live, like Reason (and any other DAW), has its strong and weak points, and yet feel like declaring that you HATE Live.

A couple of your points are valid enough, at least from an objective UX standpoint, like, for instance the long travel distance from the thing you want info on to the info view and ditto between the preview player and the cue volume. The thing that you're forgetting is that when you've grown accustomed to doing something a certain way, other ways of doing it will seem alien. Dragging virtual cables in order to connect devices? :lol: I don't even want to think about the poor souls who move from the zen garden that is Live into the epileptic seizure that is Reason.

Ableton were SO ahead of their time with the "flat" design; everyone else is doing this now. Apple ditched skeuomorphism in iOS, Google have their material design rulebook thang, Adobe have known for ages that the interface should be functional, not flashy. Producers of music software are the final bastion of gaudy faux-realism interfaces; they want to appeal to our gearlust and dazzle us with on-screen "knobs" that *almost* look like you can grab and twist.

But you can't.

This is what Ableton understood so early on. They are simply on-screen parameters. If you want knobs, you map them to your controller and start twiddling. When every device you toss on a track has its own design scheme and its own flashy colours, they inevitably colour your perception too. The visual representation should not impact your sonic perception. In fact, H2O is spot on when he argues that instead of obsessing over whether a volume automation point lands on an integer, he tries to actually LISTEN to the result*

So, that was my little counter-rant.

*That said, I still contend that you should be able to right-click an envelope point and type in an exact value.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Real hardware is coming around to the no-nonsense simple look too.
Just look at the Electron gear or the new Electribes.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Ooops, I screwed that up.....

What I meant was there is no "all and everything" host for most people. If you want to work in a more linear fashion, there are some really good ones. I for one, prefer the clip based workflow and actually don't use the arranger much except to get the clips to where I can export them.....where I put it into studio one :)

I also have bitwig recently and it's pretty fucking cool. It's still in the baking stages though but I use it quite a bit. It's awesome for mangling things. But for really serious stuff I still would rather use live/studio one for now.

Anyways, I'm mumbling but this thread was bumped after the recent hackathon and really there isn't much that can be said that hasn't already been.