"Delete temporary files?" "Yes" ....There goes *EVERY CLIP*

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bgelber

"Delete temporary files?" "Yes" ....There goes *EVERY CLIP*

Post by bgelber » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:38 pm

I just saved my project, which is all audio recordings, and the popup appeared asking me to delete temporary files; I click Yes like i always do. & I look back at the project and see that EVERY SINGLE F*CKING FILE IS GONE, and now i'm manually finding all of them bcos for some reason Ableton won't automatically rebuild the project, even though i've already replaced like five out of thirty manually.
fml

tedlogan

Re: "Delete temporary files?" "Yes" ....There goes *EVERY CLIP*

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:16 pm

can't you just go the recycle bin (Windows, I don't know Mac) and "restore" those files?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 am

this is why collect & save do exist.

when it asks you to delete temp files, ALWAYS be sure to check if your project is "self contained" and every file is in place in the samples project folder.

I think/guess this is happening at least once in a life of an ableton live user, forgetting to collect and being pitiful for it.

This remembers me some old times!

"oh no I lost everything of the track, this was so awesome! grrrrrr", then I teared a drop and the day after I was composing :lol:

Best

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Did it delete all the files, including the ones used in the project?! 8O
If you don't collect & save, does Ableton delete recorded audio files that exists in a project?

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 am

weird, I thought ableton only made "temporary files" when recording audio in an unsaved project. As soon as the project is saved I thought all recordings should be automatically placed in the correct folder within the project.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 pm

snakedogman wrote:weird, I thought ableton only made "temporary files" when recording audio in an unsaved project. As soon as the project is saved I thought all recordings should be automatically placed in the correct folder within the project.
Maybe in preferences: Library tab

Collect Files on export: Always

if it is set on NEVER, then... :idea:

uprhndcmb

Post by uprhndcmb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:46 am

Best thing to do, is to save any audio files manually to a folder you can easily find. So often when I chop an audio and basically make a new sample out of the last its guna get some name like Audio - 006 ...... or something.

This final sample that you use you should save with some name in a folder you can find. Cause then you don't have to worry really about temp files, you can just delete them and if it asks where your sample is, you know.

OR you could go into preferences and mess with the settings in the file/folder tab.

Or at least thats what I do when I dont want more temp files using up space on my hard drive.