OS X Yosemite performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
llllll1111116

OS X Yosemite performance

Post by llllll1111116 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi everyone,

As many mac users, I'd like to upgrade my OS X, but as an Ableton user, I know it's a considered choice and every aspects must be broached.
More precisely I'm using a lot of vsts (vstis, reason rewired,...) and reamping live instrument, so latency is THE real deal for my case.

That's why I'd like to know if some of you have upgraded to Yosemite and noticed some CPU gain or lost in some different cases.

Thank you! :D
MacBook Pro - core i7 2,7GHz - 4Go DDR3 / OS X 10.9.4 / Motu ultralite mk3 / Ableton live 9.1.3 -> Reaper 4.72 -> Reason 5.0.1 / Komplete 8 / Amplitube 3.10 / MidiPipe 1.4.3 / MidiStroke 1.4

BobSubgenius

Re: OS X Yosemite performance

Post by BobSubgenius » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I read some things about that on gearslutz.com and other (non-music related) forums on the net.
Some claimed to have more speed, others even got slightly worse performances in benchmark tests.

I know this was not your question but I say it anyway :) the general opinion among most audio-professionals is to wait some months with upgrading your OS. I experienced signal dropouts when playing back audio on my motu 838 mk3 hybrid after doing an early update to 10.9. and it took motu about half a year to come up with an update to fix that issue. Lucky I had made a backup before.
There also seem to be many users of Waves plugins that have serious trouble right now because they upgraded to Yosemite.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Native Instruments doesn't support Yosemite yet. Doesn't mean nothing will work but they are saying they don't support it yet. For people who use Komplete that means a lot of potential problems that just haven't been discovered yet.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm the guinea pig for the Mac users at work. Haven't blessed Yosemite yet.
f you're concerned about reliability, avoid upgrading. Wait for a few point releases.

llllll1111116

Post by llllll1111116 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Yeah I knew those details : I've just upgraded to Mavericks three months ago from 10.6.8 (2011)!

I just want a post to inform everyone if some of us have already experienced or will experience next months/years about Yosemite performance. 8)
MacBook Pro - core i7 2,7GHz - 4Go DDR3 / OS X 10.9.4 / Motu ultralite mk3 / Ableton live 9.1.3 -> Reaper 4.72 -> Reason 5.0.1 / Komplete 8 / Amplitube 3.10 / MidiPipe 1.4.3 / MidiStroke 1.4

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 pm

I've been using the beta for a couple months now, and haven't noticed any issues good or bad compared to Mavericks. Audio performance and latency seems to be the same here, though I admit I did not sit down and do direct comparisons.

Smooth sailing here though, even using it on the studio computer without any worries.

BobSubgenius

Post by BobSubgenius » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:29 am

Tarekith wrote:I've been using the beta for a couple months now, and haven't noticed any issues good or bad compared to Mavericks. Audio performance and latency seems to be the same here, though I admit I did not sit down and do direct comparisons.

Smooth sailing here though, even using it on the studio computer without any worries.
What Software are you using apart from Live? I heard horrible things about Yosemite from the Waves community.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 am

llllll1111116 wrote:Hi everyone,

As many mac users, I'd like to upgrade my OS X (...)
Why?!!!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Goddard wrote:
llllll1111116 wrote:Hi everyone,

As many mac users, I'd like to upgrade my OS X (...)
Why?!!!
Indeed. For music production machines, taking caution and being conservative are good approaches to exercise.

Any OS X user should realize that upgrading means that it is critical to check whether that all the software you are using now or plan to use in the future supports the new OS version. That includes your DAW, drivers and plug-ins.
If you're unhappy on the version you are using now, it might be worth risking to do an upgrade. But set aside time, do your research and do a complete backup of the current OS X drive and verify first.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:32 pm

BobSubgenius wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I've been using the beta for a couple months now, and haven't noticed any issues good or bad compared to Mavericks. Audio performance and latency seems to be the same here, though I admit I did not sit down and do direct comparisons.

What Software are you using apart from Live? I heard horrible things about Yosemite from the Waves community.
No waves here, Fabfilter, DMG Audio, Sonic Charge, Voxengo all seem to be working fine. Studio One and Logic as well.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:33 pm

All kinds of 1 star reviews on the App Store complaining about wifi and Bluetooth issues and sluggishness. Not the majority but I think enough to be concerned about until at least the first rev.

BobSubgenius

Post by BobSubgenius » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:57 am

Here is what Ableton is saying about it themselves: https://www.ableton.com/de/articles/yos ... patibilty/

"If you plan to upgrade to OS X 10.10, please be aware that there's always a risk that a new operating system introduces unforeseen problems or incompatibilities with your DAW, third party plug-ins (VST / AU), hardware drivers or other software tools you are using. We strongly recommend checking with each manufacturer if your software and hardware will work with the new operating system.

If you are working on time-critical projects, we'd recommend staying with your current operating system for the time being."

llllll1111116

Post by llllll1111116 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Ok thank you for your precise feedback Tarekith!

And, again, that's great to say it's risky to upgrade today, but that's not the point of this post.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 pm

BobSubgenius wrote:Here is what Ableton is saying about it themselves: …
If you are working on time-critical projects, we'd recommend staying with your current operating system for the time being."
That's what I'm doing — staying on Mavericks — for the time being, but I'm evaluating Yosemite on an external drive checking it out before I commit to it.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 pm

I don't mind diving in right away myself, with a Time Machine it's so simple to get back to where I was if I need to.