Mapping more than one track's send controls

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Beattender

Mapping more than one track's send controls

Post by Beattender » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi, I watched a video recently where a producer mapped a button on his controller to turn the send amount on and off (fully wet/fully dry). Is there a way of mapping (for example) two buttons to control the default two send controls and then using the same mapped buttons on the controller to control other tracks in the session?

The way I see it at the moment, I would have to map a new button to each and every send across all tracks.

I'm using a Roland A500-Pro if that helps. I want to get an MPK25 but that's another topic...

Cheers

wiffbi

Re: Mapping more than one track's send controls

Post by wiffbi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Sorry, this is a shameless self promotion: I wrote a Control Surface Script, that does exactly that (amongst other things). It is called Selected Track Control and can be found here (don’t be confused about the keyboard shortcut thing, that is an addition to the basic Control Surface):

http://stc.wiffbi.com

Per default, the sends are mapped to CC 12-19 in absolute mode. So if you can edit the messages your controller is sending, then set its buttons to toggle and send CC 12 (Send A) or CC 13 (Send B).

You can also customize SelectedTrackContol if you wish, you need to edit a Python-file inside the Control Surface scripts – the file is called settings.py (NOT .pyc). In there are all MIDI messages it listens to.

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 am

If the button is sending note data, then you can map it to the send and it will toggle the send on and off completely (or you can vary the Min and Max values as you like in the MIDI mapping browser). You can also map as many sends as you want to that one button, but once that button is mapped, then it can no longer control another parameter.

Beattender

Post by Beattender » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 am

Thanks Mylkoa, the button I'm assigning to the sends is a note value.

Wiffbi, thanks for the link. How do I apply the script within ableton? Do I need something like the controller editor for maschine? Once the script is applied, I'm assuming that the buttons I've mapped to the sends will work for each track that is selected. Is that right?

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Which note-values do you want the sends to listen to? I can make a custom version of STC for you.

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:25 am

Beattender wrote:Thanks Mylkoa, the button I'm assigning to the sends is a note value.
Oh. What message is it sending, CC data, something else?