Record delayed Signal only?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Evengy

Record delayed Signal only?

Post by Evengy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Hey guys,

i have a Synth and im using 30% Send 2 for a Ping-Pong Delay. I want to record that Signal but without the dry Signal from my Synth. Is that possible and how?
I want to turn up the VOlume after that to get a nice dreamy arp like sequence.

Thanks and best wishes!

JDFS

Re: Record delayed Signal only?

Post by JDFS » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Solo'ing the delay and record to an Audio Track via Resampling (if you open i/o)? I'm not on my computer right now, but IIRC, solo'ing still makes sure the Send receives input.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Sorry, i forgot to tell you that i tried that but it seems that there is always a bit of the Dry Signal there. Thats not exactly what i want ;( I want it cleaner without the Sequence im really playing. Or maybe the Deleay sounds really like that hmmm. I have that Sound in my mind but im not able to get it ;/

I think i only want the left and right Signal, it´s hard for me to describe :D Another idea is to try to delete some of the "unwanting" MIDI notes. I will try it.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:11 pm

It's a pretty standard practice to set effect wet/dry to 100% when it's on a return track. If you're hearing the dry signal when you solo the return it could be b/c the wet/dry isn't 100%, unless Live doesn't mute the tracks to your send when you solo it - sometimes I get inconsistent behavior.

You can add another audio track to your mixer arbitrarily just to record the return track. Just select your return track under Audio From. Mute it so you don't get that 3 dB boost from doubling your return track when they play back at the same time. Until you figure out what you want to do with it.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:14 am

If your looking for the just the delay from the initials hits (Transients, plucks,), but you don't want the sustain; you can control the volume so that only the transient goes to the delay for the recorded delay signal.

1st option. use a gate device on the send immediately before the Ping Pong delay device- with a quick attack and a threshold that is relatively high so that the sustain doesn't go through.

2nd option. automate the send amount knob for clip instrument clip. Draw in automation that is full for the start of the note and quickly fades to 0. repeat for each note.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 am

@JoshG567
Wet is on 100%!

I think Steve Glen nails it. I think it´s the Sustain which i don´t want. Will try that at home :))

Thanks!

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

You could also just put a delay in your track's effect chain and adjust the wet/dry so you don't have to muck up your return. Just modify the output/gain levels so they approximate the 30% send.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:06 pm

@Steve
It´s working :D I will try it with also with a gate. Never used that device so it must be worth learning to use it.

@ImNotDedYet
I will give it a try.

Thank you guys!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 pm

Gate is working really nice!