Create your own choir voices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dirk C

Create your own choir voices

Post by Dirk C » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Hello!

One can find samples of choirs at looperman.com, but is it possible to create your own samples of male/female voices? Even better, can it be done with Ableton Live?

I understand that it will remain with “ooh” and “aah” words, but I want to modulate it at different tones.
Anybody?

alexjholland

Re: Create your own choir voices

Post by alexjholland » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Yes. Do you have access to a group of small boys?

I'll explain the rest in a PM.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:54 pm

alexjholland wrote:Yes. Do you have access to a group of small boys?

I'll explain the rest in a PM.
I'm curious to see that mail!

Maxadax

Post by Maxadax » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Absolutely, if you can get the voices.

If I had access to a good choir singer, or if I could do it myself then I would record 'ooh's and 'ahh's about 20 times and load each one into Simpler, or any sampler would probably be fine. I would then loop the sample so it sustains forever. As long as you have multiple voices available in the sampler you can play any chords you want. It may not be the most 'authentic' sound choir instrument compared to high end plugins, but you will have the modulation possibilities that you are looking for in each Simpler in the Instrument group.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:03 am

Perhaps some of you know it: the "Miroslav Philharmonik orchestra and choir workstation" (from IK Multimedia).

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik/

It comes as a stand alone and VST (32-bit) version, but works fine with JBridge on 64-Live versions! It is a coupe of years old already, but - after having looked around - I've found it for only $75 (= 61 euro) on Ebay and it contains beautiful male/female/mixed choirs!

There are other products on the market, but much more expensive, like: http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Choirs.
I don"t doubt its quality, but the price is way yoo high ($400 - $500 depending of the bit-rate).
Or cheaper like http://syntheway.com/choir.htm at $39,99, but the demo's are not convincing.

If you want good choirs at a low price, Miroslav is the deal!

marra

Post by marra » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:14 pm

So did anyone manage to make a convincing ooh/ahh synth from a single sample?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:43 am

Probably the wrong end of the scale for you as it costs a decent chunk of change but EastWest has Symphonic Choirs

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Choirs

I have this as part of a package they did for me and I need to spend more time with it but you can build your choir using phonetics so it can actually sing. Lots of fun and really good for orchestral type stuff.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:10 pm

there is nothing more humbling and painful than recording and overdubbing "ooh's and ah's"
all the years of thinking you are an acceptable singer for your own tunes go out the window when you start listening back to wordless, held out single note vocals.
make sure you have some alcohol nearby afterwards.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:23 pm

LOL, that is so true. I remember the time I tried that, it was just cringe-worthy on every possible level. :lol: