Automation Snap To Grid?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aspen1135

Automation Snap To Grid?

Post by aspen1135 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:34 am

I've been using ableton for a little awhile and recently decided to mix it up a bit and try out FL studio. I will say right now that each has there pro's and cons. One thing I really like FL studio about it is that automation is extremely easy to work with. With automation in FL, you can click anywhere and it'll create a breakpoint and snap it directly on the grid. With ableton, the only way I know how to snap to grid is by going into pencil mode and creating two sequencer-type lines and deleting the breakpoints in-between as demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9VzApp8rbE

This is much more time consuming and quite frankly sucks when your trying to design neuro and reese basses that involves a lot of filter automation to get unique tonalities. One other thing is how sloppily automation is organized along the timeline. You can't color code or re-sort the automation from top down. Once you create a new automation lane, its just kinda "there". You can't rename it, sort it or anything.

If someone could enlighten me on these issues and tell me if snapping to grid is at all possible, I'd be one happy guy. I love using ableton and I think it really excels working with midi and sidechaining. I just hate how small features like this limit my workflow in it. If they really don't exist and aren't just hiding under my nose, I think I'll be switching to Fl studio until they decide to implement these features into live 10 or later. Makes me sad, really :cry:

pencilrocket

Re: Automation Snap To Grid?

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 am

you can read 53 pages of FR since 2003
search.php?keywords=snap+grid&terms=all ... mit=Search

aspen1135

Post by aspen1135 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:55 am

Thats ridiculous man. How have they not addressed this issue yet!? I would think that some sort of programmer genius would design a hack for it at least

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Yep, this is killing the OCD in me.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Highlight the section you want to edit (say 4, 8 bars, etc.), move the whole line down or up, it will create 4 breakpoints, each two side on the respective grid line. Then you can move them vertically to taste. The only way that somewhat satisfies my tendencies. Delete the extra breakpoints if you don't need them.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:38 pm

DangerousDave wrote:Highlight the section you want to edit (say 4, 8 bars, etc.), move the whole line down or up, it will create 4 breakpoints, each two side on the respective grid line. Then you can move them vertically to taste. The only way that somewhat satisfies my tendencies. Delete the extra breakpoints if you don't need them.
Yes, this works well.