New Original Song - "Midcentury Modern" done in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ajbbklyn

New Original Song - "Midcentury Modern" done in Live

Post by Ajbbklyn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Posted this on the "Link Your Music" forum. But, not much foot-traffic there. So, please indulge me this posting 'cause I'm pretty proud of this li'l number. Music recorded & mixed in Live. Vocals recorded and pre-mixed in Pro Tools (for the comping functionality) and stems brought back into Live for final mixdown/mastering.

Hope you enjoy!

Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

moonpie

Re: New Original Song - "Midcentury Modern" done in Live

Post by moonpie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Congrats on the track, had a listen there, wasn't sure what it was going to turn out like, must have taken ages to nail that many styles/production mixing styles! Must have been a lot of fun.

Was it a single session?? Or did you mix individually then bounce and join? It's one thing to mix everything so individually, but then writing it convincingly is the hard part, and it really works! And funny too obviously!

Ajbbklyn

Re: New Original Song - "Midcentury Modern" done in Live

Post by Ajbbklyn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

There were multiple sessions. I wanted to try the "modular" recording method that Brian Wilson had first used on "Good Vibrations" and carried into the "SMiLE" project in '66-'67. The Live workflow allowed for most of these independent sessions to be dragged into one large session without having to first bounce down to stereo wav files. The exceptions are the '30/s "rootin-tootin" session, the orchestra session and the final "gospel/Salt Of The Earth" session. This was dictated by my computer starting to crap out above a track count of 85.

The vocals were recorded in Pro Tools using a rough mixdown of the music as backing/click. This way, I could see how the vocals laid against the track. I was able to go back to the mix elements of the music to make any adjustments. Finally, I brought the rough pre-mixed vocal stems back into Live and did a final mixdown/mastering.

It was a lot of fun. It took many months, in between moving from Brooklyn to New Hope, PA. Thanks for the kind words. Glad you found it entertaining!
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com