Live 9 too many crashes ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Live 9 too many crashes ?

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:24 am

Schmidi wrote:Live is by and far the least stable program on my computer these days, which is sad. Been with it since V1 and I don't plan on going further with it unless there is a full rewrite for version 10. I have done my best to eliminate any problematic plugs from my workflow, and even run only built in plugs for many projects and there are still totally random crashes.
This is the frustrating thing about DAW's. For me, live was only crashy on an earlier incarnation of 9 (can't remember which one) and it was m4l that was causing almost all of it. Terribly disappointing as m4l is a powerful tool.

But 99 out 100 run w/o problems and I have a buttload of plugs.

@sandboxing from that "other" host from the OP: It's nice. Actually, in demoing b.......g I've really not run into any real problem other than RMX......which won't drag/drop (maybe because b......g doesn't support rex? )

Syver

Post by Syver » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:29 am

I switched to Bitwig 1.1 more than a week ago since Live wouldn't stop crashing.

I have not encountered a single problem with the exact same setup.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:31 am

That's strange. Though bitwig certainly isn't crash prone here, neither is live.

BTW, in case it matters, I'm win7x64 and I have a million plugins. Again, RMX is the only one with issues in bitwig.....I've had some issues with live with that also.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Up until a few weeks ago, Live 9 was rock solid. Live 8 was a crashfest, but after 9.0.1 or so, I had probably a solid year with barely a single crash.

Now though, 9.1.5 is crashing all the time. The same VSTs I've always been using (recently started using Geist, but crashes have been happening even with sets that have no instances of it), but even sets that used to work just fine have been stalling and crashing.

Can't think what changed - wonder if it wasn't a Windows Update that changed something on the backend, or problems with my audio interface.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:37 pm

I get a few crashes per week sometimes once per day it's regarded on KVR and Gearslutz as an unstable DAW for using many tracks. MAx4Live plugins go very unstable as M4L is updated.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:40 pm

this current version 9.1.6 has been the most hellish ever for me.
It freezes and crashes a lot. I mean, it takes about 4 tries to get the application to even start and then if I try to save things such as Liveclips or rack presets it's very likely I'll simply get a "this application has become unresponsive". In which case I have to quit and hope I can ever start the application again, and then who knows if the preset really saved.

Not to mention all the clicking and popping noises that Live 9 has always made on my system when doing things like moving notes around, and Live 8 never has any of those problems.
It's a lot to go through for just a nice compressor!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Angstrom wrote:this current version 9.1.6 has been the most hellish ever for me.
It freezes and crashes a lot. I mean, it takes about 4 tries to get the application to even start and then if I try to save things such as Liveclips or rack presets it's very likely I'll simply get a "this application has become unresponsive". In which case I have to quit and hope I can ever start the application again, and then who knows if the preset really saved.

Not to mention all the clicking and popping noises that Live 9 has always made on my system when doing things like moving notes around, and Live 8 never has any of those problems.
It's a lot to go through for just a nice compressor!
Is this because Live 9 default to high quality, I wonder.

No crashes saving patches so far in any Live 9 version. I get some crash at quit on occasion, but not during normal use. 9.1.6b4 rendered not one crash. 9.1.6 has done a few strange things, but so have I so I'm not sure what's the expected response.

Glitches come and go like before.

Push is the main reason I'm not loading Live 8. That's sufficient.
Make some music!

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 am

My Ableton was super stable with 3rd party VSTs and i do have quite a lot of them. I only had crashes when i used m4l. Never before, never after..

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:18 am

For me, that's fair. I've had little to no issues with other vsts (other than RMX which can be strange at times)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 am

tecolo wrote:My Ableton was super stable with 3rd party VSTs and i do have quite a lot of them. I only had crashes when i used m4l. Never before, never after..
Why are you generalizing M4L? Look at the specific devices.

I have no issues with Dub Machines for example.
Make some music!

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:48 am

I am curious
What is crashing ?
What is the Crash Report saying ?

The most crashing issues I have are all M4L related :/

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 pm

ansolas wrote:I am curious
What is crashing ?
What is the Crash Report saying ?

The most crashing issues I have are all M4L related :/
Yes, foolishly I have a convolution reverb and an LFO in my default set.

consequently my logs are full of stuff like this

Code: Select all

12600 ms. Exception: "F:\My Documents\Ableton\Factory Packs\Max for Live Essentials\Max Audio Effect\Control Devices\LFO.amxd": EOF
13301 ms. Max: Version 6.1.9 (15811)
14023 ms. MemoryUsage: V: 805.5 MB, R: 575.7 MB, P: 512 MB
14050 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):
14050 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "c:\Jenkins\live\Binary\Core_Release_64_static\midi-remote-scripts\_MxDCore\MxDCore.py", line 1142, in install_observer_listener
14051 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "c:\Jenkins\live\Binary\Core_Release_64_static\midi-remote-scripts\_MxDCore\MxDCore.py", line 1175, in _observer_install_listener
14052 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "c:\Jenkins\live\Binary\Core_Release_64_static\midi-remote-scripts\_MxDCore\MxDCore.py", line 1293, in _observer_id_callback
14052 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "c:\Jenkins\live\Binary\Core_Release_64_static\midi-remote-scripts\_MxDCore\MxDCore.py", line 208, in _get_object_path
14059 ms. RemoteScriptError: RuntimeError

I don't know who this Jenkins character is, but he's not writing great code for the Core library devices.

Perhaps Ableton could package the LFO and the Convo reverb up into REAL devices and those of us who have no interest in M4L can regain a bit of stability.

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:49 am

Yeah M4L seams to be quite buggy and CPU hoggy huh

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:40 am

I have purchased Tracktion 5 for next to nothing and I gotta say, it's pretty damn nice! Definitely worth checking for anyone that is frustrated and just wants something straight forward that works. Not one crash, with the same set of plug I was using in Live.

The nice thing is T5 and Live both support ReWire so I can use Live as a sound module in the future.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:54 am

T5 looks pretty top notch. I was into T many many moons ago. w/o complaining about the history, it's nice to see them back on top of the biz.