launchpad mini and launchpad 95

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robleighton22

launchpad mini and launchpad 95

Post by robleighton22 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi there,

Just bought a launchpad mini and so far hating this setup :( . i have setup launchpad 95 and just in a world of confusion (bearing mind i have used a push a zillion times as my flat m8 has one). i've watched the instruction video and have got it setup. the only thing that seems to make any sense so far is the user 1 mode in the launchpad where lets me set scales for notes and play a keyboard.

should the step sequencer on the mini show me which steps are playing? so if i draw the steps via ableton with a mouse, should they show on the launchpad? trying to navigate where my steps on the launchpad. think might cry (or def take this back!!). apologies, feel like a complete amateur here, used to hardware step sequencers (have a tanzbar, volca, etc) and not understanding the launch pad at all. :( :( any help will be massively appreciated.

robleighton22

Re: launchpad mini and launchpad 95

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 am

ok, i have started to work it out. apologies - low patience/attention span!! ok, quite like the launchpad mini - using it to control my vermona performer. may get a 2nd one to control the volca and/or increase the potential number of steps in a sequence. using lanchpad95 to run the push emulation. get some ace stuff out of the melodic step sequencer.

also bought the launch control xl, but finding it less useful. mainly on the fact that there is no red rectangle for it on ableton. seems odd - can't work out what track im on without looking closely at the screen. also why is there no transport controls? for £160 thought you would at least have a play/stop button. will take a look and see what user templates are out there. thinking to trade for either an apc or another launchpd, any thoughts?

SwarleyAUS

Re: launchpad mini and launchpad 95

Post by SwarleyAUS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Rob,

If you have some spare time can you assist a fellow noob if you got anywhere? I am having problems with my new mini too, a few in fact:

Firstly, in Instrument Controller mode with the (I think melodic) keyboard layout I do not get any sounds in Live 9, with two emtpy MIDI tracks in Live 9 (one for the lighting the mini in other modes).

Secondly, I cannot get the Drum Sequencer to work. If I create a new MIDI clip by double clicking on an empty slot in a MIDI track in Live 9 session view and then drag say a default drum rack onto that clip, then select the clip on my mini in session mode so the button is flashing green and then go to User 2 mode, the metronome appears and the mini lights up according to the drum rack layout, however once again no sound is heard when playing and I can only seemingly select one pad on that page of the ENTIRE mini. Edit: Ok I've been able to get the drum sequencer to work in that it puts the correct notes pressed into Folding at the correct time in the bar(s) however there's still no sound. I've also at least I've made sense of its 'pages' buttons in this mode now.

Got this working -> Finally, (unrelated to l95) is that I have finally figured how to open Folding for looping in the absence of the Drum Sequencer working, however the mini does not seemed to be mapped to scale keys in Live 9 as pressing buttons doesn't do anything with looping on, nor does it if I drag a drum rack onto this clip so folding keys change to percussion instruments!

If you can help at all it is much appreciated =)

Taylor